Port Hacking - another mixed bag

Yowie

Headed up from Lilli Pilli early this morning. Apart from the jackets and the slimey mackerel (first one for ages) that were taken on small pieces of squid, all the other fish were taken on fish strips on a handline. Salted bonito strips.

The bigger tailor don't come in easily on a handline, and the bream gave a good fight itself.

The reddie only just makes the size. It had one of a ganged hook in it's gills, with a bit of surgery the hook was removed and the reddie sent back, but it floated back to the surface, very dead, so it was scooped up and kept.

Small garfish scooting about before sun-up, with the tailor hitting them from underneath, causing the gars to take flight across the surface. A few just under sized reddies, but numbers are declining.

When I cleaned the mid sized tailor, there was a size 3/0 bream hook in it's stomach, the attached line chewed off and a little bit of bait still on the hook.

Inside the bream, I found a size 2/0 bream hook in the upper intestine, the hook was a little rusty and the attached line had a clean cut, as is some fisho may have gut hooked it and cut the line. The hook was not embedded in the intestine, and was probably working it's way out.

Relo's coming around tonight for a feed of fish, plus some for a mate and some for mum. Was an entertaining day with the fish about.

post-13153-0-50815000-1463110320_thumb.jpg

Interesting report there Yowie!

Particularly finding the hooks in the fish.

Lots of species there too.

Quite like this line ...

"Small garfish scooting about before sun-up, with the tailor hitting them from underneath, causing the gars to take flight across the surface."

Very poetic mate!

Cheers

Jim

Interesting report there Yowie!

Particularly finding the hooks in the fish.

Lots of species there too.

Quite like this line ...

"Small garfish scooting about before sun-up, with the tailor hitting them from underneath, causing the gars to take flight across the surface."

Very poetic mate!

Cheers

Jim

I am not a poet Jim, it just turned out that way. The fishing tends to drop off a bit around this time of year, but it is still going well. The tailor were a bit late in the Hacking this year.

Definately a good variety there yowie! The bream and tailor are crackers. You can keep the leather jacket though! :)

Cheers scratchie!!!

Thanks Scratchie. Nothing wrong with the jackets - they are not a big species like the chinaman jackets, so don't get as chewy.

Certainly knew the bigger tailor was banging away on the hand line. The bream also put up a good show, thought it was a small jewie at first.

Do you get them closer to the moorings or the sand bars?? Just curious

Not near the sand bars, however, the tailor are always on the move looking for food, and will turn up anywhere. Have caught them near the sand bar before.

Yowie where r the leather jacket spot if u keen to share, is it where the boat anchor near lilli pilli next to the pool?

Will not be telling the exact spot, however, jackets are found near rocky shorelines and weed beds. I have caught jackets off Lilli Pilli, in Yowie Bay, Gymea Bay, Big Turriell Bay, South

West Arm. The water does not need to be too deep, as river jackets will swim in water several metres or less looking for food.

My hat goes off to you mate.As others always say you always come home with something.I always enjoy your reports mate,keep them coming.

Thanks Fab, prefer to bring home a feed than nothing.

Good stuff yowie as usual looks like the winter season is almost here, its starting to slow down and water temp is dropping

Thanks Krispy. First trevally of the year, but still a few fish about. Water temp is dropping a bit. Had a swim at Wanda Beach yesterday and the ocean is a little bit cooler now.