King on a cube

Krispy !

Hey raiders headed out again this morning after some kings or bonito and started by getting some garfish for live bait,got a few as well as some yakkas and as the sun came up first liveys hit the water. Was quiet for an hour without a touch when suddenly a group of 4 or 5 kings showed up under the wharf. I reeled in my live gars and started tickling their noses but they didnt want a bar of it so i Began cubing up with pilchards and they came up and slowly and ate each cube i was throwing, so i send one out with a hook in it and came up tight a few seconds later. After a good tussle in amongst structure up came a 70cm king. Had high hopes after that but the school moved on so i packed up at 10 since it was dead low and had a nice king on ice. Also found a little whiting in its gut when cleaning it which was interesting.

post-11865-0-99127300-1463280456_thumb.jpeg

post-11865-0-95323800-1463280490_thumb.jpg

post-11865-0-72154500-1463280752_thumb.jpeg

One nice kingie there Krispy. The whiting shows that the kingies move through the water table looking for whatever they can eat, same as the bigger tailor at this time of year.

You could just imagine the whiting grubbing in the sand for worms, then having the shite scared out of it when confronted by the kingie. :o

sounds a good outing, love the garfish, shame you got only the one king but it looks a beauty and will cook up well.l

Thanks mate yeah it went down well

One nice kingie there Krispy. The whiting shows that the kingies move through the water table looking for whatever they can eat, same as the bigger tailor at this time of year.

You could just imagine the whiting grubbing in the sand for worms, then having the shite scared out of it when confronted by the kingie. :o

Thanks yowie, yeah kingfish are a clever fish and if there isn't any baitfish around it wouldn't surprise me that they targeted smaller whiting.

nice catch yowie! hey mate can you tell me how to catch them gar fish??? we usually get out on the water around 6am and you can see bait fish getting harrased by whatever. i assume they are garfish... surface fish right??? how do you catch them?? like what bait are require? and Technics or hooks.

cheers

it's funny how they ignore the livies and go for a simple pilchard cube!

Always pays to have a bag of pillies around :)

too true mate kings are the most bi polar fish I have come across

Well done, what size hook were you using for the pillie cubes?

hey mate I was using a 1/0 on the pillys

nice catch yowie! hey mate can you tell me how to catch them gar fish??? we usually get out on the water around 6am and you can see bait fish getting harrased by whatever. i assume they are garfish... surface fish right??? how do you catch them?? like what bait are require? and Technics or hooks.

cheers

hey papafish just use bread on a small size 14 hook and they should be easy to catch just burley them up

6lb Cubing legend! Nice work bro :)

thanks 8lb well go for a session soon ;)

I find gars easy to catch with a garhook (longshank) with about 1.5 metres of line to a pencil float. Sandfleas, a bit of fresh prawn or bread works. I flick the line out and slowly retrieve - the retrieve seems to attract them every time.

Hey raiders headed out again this morning after some kings or bonito and started by getting some garfish for live bait,got a few as well as some yakkas and as the sun came up first liveys hit the water. Was quiet for an hour without a touch when suddenly a group of 4 or 5 kings showed up under the wharf. I reeled in my live gars and started tickling their noses but they didnt want a bar of it so i Began cubing up with pilchards and they came up and slowly and ate each cube i was throwing, so i send one out with a hook in it and came up tight a few seconds later. After a good tussle in amongst structure up came a 70cm king. Had high hopes after that but the school moved on so i packed up at 10 since it was dead low and had a nice king on ice. Also found a little whiting in its gut when cleaning it which was interesting.

attachicon.gifreceived_1125486520835586.jpeg

attachicon.gifSnapchat-3502374247022494493.jpg

attachicon.gifreceived_1125530694164502.jpeg

nice kingy and those gars yumo. some people dont relies how easy to catch kings on pilli cubes is

Good work on getting a king! They are very cunning and know when something isn't right. I have seen them in the harbour scoffing bread floating on the surface but when you slip a hook into a piece they swim up and have a look then swim away! Well done

Pete