Too long a day

SgtBundy

I finally had my new sounder installed on the kayak and was keen to give it a run. I launched again from Clontarf at 7am and headed for the fridge to look for yakkas. The sounder was working brilliantly and I actually spotted some ar first but couldt get them on the sabiki. After a few circuits I lost them, so I moved on to balmoral.

Again quickly found some and then could see them in the water but they wouldnt touch the rig. While I was stuffing around a boat pulled up with one of my work vendors on board (we had some fishing chats during the week) and with his supply of prawns I was getting some sweep and yakkas in the tank.

I trolled a yakka out to middle head and it eventually got taken by a 35cm tailor. I put out a sweep and decided to head towards sow and pigs but on the way got the idea to test the sounders down vision mode on the wreck at Bradleys head. It was a 4km treck but I figured I could manage it. I trolled past sow and pigs, past one of the lighthouses and on to Bradleys head. Nothing on the sounder anywhere.

I found the wreck but couldnt get a good scan of it and the traffic was too heavy to muck around, so I got out of the channel and flicked some plastics around off the beach east of Bradleys head.

At this point I wanted a snack so I tried to reach back in the kayak for the bag with my food in it. To do that I have to turn and lean over one side. I picked the wrong side because as I did that a big swell or boat wake hit the other side and capsized the kayak. Between my weight, the live bait tank, my leaning and that wave there was no stopping it and I went in with it.

I managed to get untangled and out from under then worked to flip the kayak. After a few attempts I had it up and gathered the leashed gear and odd floating item back on board. I then tried to get back on but instead flipped it again.

Repeating gathering the gear I tried to work out options and resorted to taking off my long pants but I still couldt get my self high enough out of the water to get on without rolling the kayak. A passing boat had notcied my situation and I flagged him down. After getting onto his boat I managed to get back on the kayak and take stock.

I wish I grabbed his details to send a bottle of scotch but I was too busy collecting myself and untangling leashes and finding gear. If you were a FR PM me and I will owe you one. I apologise for your daughter having to witness me getting on board in my undies.

Once I started sorting myself out the vendor guy happened by on his way back to the ramp and gave me a hand. He offered a tow back to Clontarf but I said I was fine. Once I was a little more sorted we parted ways and I had a long tiring paddle back to Clontarf.

Net loss was an unsecured popper, a floating knife and a cutting board. My live bait tank controls which also provide battery to the sounder got waterlogged and failed, with the sounder down and me unsure if it died totally or was just a broken connection. Later at home I found it was just the connection. My new phone that I had for less than a day also took a swim in my top pocket but seems fine (its waterproof - or should be but I didnt want to push that so soon).

On the long slog back to Clontarf I trolled a lure and it wasnt until castle rock beach I got a hit by another tailor, but being tired and unenthused he dehooked in the kayak and slipped back in - no loss.

I got back to clontarf around 3 and packed up to head home.

Lessons - rethink my gear layout, figure out a reboarding method and do better waterproofing of my electricals.

Up until the flip it was a nice day on the water and I am really happy with my sounder - hopefully no ill effects from its dunking.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Well they say with kayaks you should practice a capsize re-entry and I neglected to do so. I have reboarded before but in much calmer conditons with much less gear onboard. Hopefully its a lesson for others as well.

For the most part I was surprised how calm and methodical I was during the event. I definately had a thought or two about what I could be sharing the water with but mostly I was annoyed at the turn of events and potential damage...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Well mate I guess experience is the best teacher and of course the mishaps , provided they end without injury, make the best stories.

Good on you for telling the story in detail.

No doubt you'll soon be back on the water will a few adjustments in place.

Cheers

Jim

Great read SgtBundy

I bet you are pleased that you didn't go commando!

I doubt I could get in to a yak offshore, I'd struggle from a wharf. I'm wondering though if

getting on from the stern or the bow would be an option , or would you just put them under

of have too many toys to climb over?

The only other thing I could think of is something really buoyant on the end of your oar and then use that

like an out rigger, to balance while you climb up. I guess all your wet clothes and life jacket would make it a heap harder.

Edited by antonywardle

The only other thing I could think of is something really buoyant on the end of your oar and then use that

like an out rigger, to balance while you climb up. I guess all your wet clothes and life jacket would make it a heap harder.

Google 'paddle float'

Device for self-rescue or re-entry.

You really have to have one if you go offshore.

Edited by Volitan

Great read SgtBundy

I bet you are pleased that you didn't go commando!

I doubt I could get in to a yak offshore, I'd struggle from a wharf. I'm wondering though if

getting on from the stern or the bow would be an option , or would you just put them under

of have too many toys to climb over?

Most people recommend getting on the rear deck as the easist - but that wasnt an option. Where I was trying I had on one side the sounder and the other was a large rod holder, the rear was occupied by my live bait tank setup so there wasn't many options other than try to pull myself back in on the seat area where the handles are. I might have had options off the bow but it was sitting pretty high and there isn't much to grip on to. I tried to eggbeater kick myself up but couldn't get high enough to make much use of it. In all honesty being 30kg lighter would make the most difference all round but thats another matter.

I considered inflating my life jacket but I thought it would be more cumbersome and not help that much, plus I wasn't really in enough trouble at that stage to warrant it. If it wasn't for the boat I might have tried to make it to some nearby rocks but that would have been a tricky prospect too with the chop.

The start of this video (same kayak model) shows how tricky it can be even unloaded - probably shows what I was doing wrong too in trying to go straight up instead of going flat and trying to push myself over with my legs higher in the water.

Edited by SgtBundy