Well thats akward

will_l

Hi,

So I got home today opened my laptop and watched the standard afternoon fishing youtube vids. I was watching a video of a guy, in the middle of no where catching flatties and it gave me the idea to go fishing, land based, just to see what could happen. If this guy was catching them at no particular spot hopefully I can too. Within 30 seconds I was out the door armed with my bream raider, symeter 2500 (4lb line) 3 soft-plastic grubz and one spare jig head. Walked about 5 minutes to the closest water to my house, and came to the edge of the lane cover river. There was hardly any current, no deep spots just the standard bank. Only structure was a little private boat house next to me. Nobody who was actually hoping to catch fish would ever go there. So I chuck out the SP, first cast nothing. Re-cast and bang. On. a decent flatty. Not bad at all. Throw a few more cast's and then about 7th cast on again. This time a medium sized bream. About 15 cast later, a little pinkie snapper. A few more casts got some good hits and lost the tail of my grub. Could this be tailor? After about an hour of fishing I got probably 4 more mid sized flatties. All fish thrown back. And this is why its akward. Never have I got this many fish when I go out all day on the boat. I know these are standard bread and butter fish but it's pretty great and fun to catch them.

So it was getting darker (around 4:30) and I was just doing a few more casts before going home. Cast out the SP. Do a little bit of action then Bang, a good hit. There was a little bit of head shaking then zzzz off the fish went. This was the first fish to pull drag for a full 5 seconds. Then suddenly the line went slack. Line broke at the jig head. I had forgotten to un-tighten my drag after getting snagged a few times. This is the exact same thing that happened when I had my last decent fish on this rod. What could it of been? I hope it would of just been a tailor (they must of been around since I had a tail bitten off) but I hate to think it could of been a much better species. Unfortunately no pictures as I didn't bring my phone as I never thought I'd actually catch something. I'll be back on Friday afternoon to give them another crack.

Thanks for reading.

Isn't it funny when expectations are low is when fishing can surprise us the most. I would put my money on a horse bream that you lost. Plenty about atm. I also bet that you can't repeat that next time as you expectations are now far greater! Hope you do though! Good luck!

Cheers scratchie!!!

And thats where you find a few fish, right up close to shore and structure. The fish chasing bait that hang around that area.

When you see the guys fishing for Bream ETC from boats, a lot of the time they are casting into shore chasing these fish.

Isn't it funny when expectations are low is when fishing can surprise us the most. I would put my money on a horse bream that you lost. Plenty about atm. I also bet that you can't repeat that next time as you expectations are now far greater! Hope you do though! Good luck!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Ahaha, I hope I can repeat it. I'll let you know how I go.

Damn, would of been nice to get my first proper decent sized bream on SP's.

Good onya for getting in and having a go Will. Good luck on Friday. Take your phone and put up a couple of pics. Cheers.

Thanks.

Will have a part 2 too this report

And thats where you find a few fish, right up close to shore and structure. The fish chasing bait that hang around that area.

When you see the guys fishing for Bream ETC from boats, a lot of the time they are casting into shore chasing these fish.

Yeah, I saw a lot of stagnant schools of tiny fish in the very shallow parts right next to the bank. Not sure if that's the bait they were chasing but there were definitely fish there.

I often see the professional boats just use the electric and slowly go around all the moorings and jetty's. I guess its pretty effective, covering lots of ground. I'll have to give it a go soon.

Guest Guest123456789

Thanks for sharing your report. Reminds me of a sales training course I did, where reference was made to a speech some guy gave about an Arabian man who sold his land to go travelling and mining for diamonds and the new owner of his land discovered diamonds in the backyard.

Well I went back on Friday and only managed a small bream and flatty. I was only there for around 30 mins so it was still pretty fun.

Now to improve my king's skill with soft-plastics...

Awesome job. You can only learn more with more sessions. Hardest part is figuring out when they're just sucking on it. Just feels like pulling through weed sometimes.

Yet to land some good bream on lures. I always target mangroves and river banks on the run in tides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I did a bit of fishing by my self in Queensland I had some of the best flatty fishing ever. Mainly, on a run out tide. I hired a little tinny and searched for some little inlets along the bank on the Noosa river. I found a few that would be only 50 cm deep and would anchor up where the inlet meets the main channel. So on a run out tide the water would wrap around the corner of the inlet going into the main channel. With the water flowing through the mangroves I guess it brought a lot of bait to the flattys. I remember I'd get around 10 flatties in 15 minutes at some points. It was insane. Using just little SP grubs and having them bounce along the bottom. I haven't bothered trying to fish mangroves around Sydney but I think you could find similar areas, like I mentioned above, in the Hawkesbury.

When I just specially try and target bream I agree that man made structures seem to be good. Like Jettys and stuff. I've been having a bit of luck specifically targeting them with blades and SP's but its definitely more difficult! A little spot I like is the north and west side of goat island around the jetty and also the slipway? On the western side.

Edited by will_l