Delayed Luderick report from The Entrance

quochuy

I'm currently sitting in my car while watching other blackies fishos (including @stapo) standing under cover. The storm has popped up after a morning of calm but rainy weather. The wind is strong so it is game over. One hour of fishing for me and there I'm making a report for last weekend...

Anyway, with blackies season beginning I have joined The Entrance Crew by the wall.

Saturday, I got there at around 11:15 and been told I was two hours late and the fish had just stopped bitting... [emoji33]

Anyway, I stayed and took my chance and it was slow but by 5pm I caught 7 nice fish and Tim gave me two.f077b3844e67461d762db19baf5eb08e.jpg

75c3e9c9d1676c942f0d5f89ab3ca037.jpg

Back home I tried some blackfish sashimi and it was good:

1a730e01d7d7cd7593afe63db79bb025.jpg

Additionally my wife prepared some steamed one3826135fb1c58ea3b28a11fba442fcde.jpg

Sunday morning, with my mate Dom we got there at 7am, not wanting to miss the fun like yesterday. Steve and Tim were catching fish after fish while Dom and I were there still wondering what was wrong with us... Then master Steve came and taught us the art of baiting the weed on the hook and that made a whole world of difference. I finally started to have some downs.

After casting close and far, left and right I started to see where they were and also started to get some good bites. Norm arrived a bit later and also encountered few problems. Then I lost my float due to line twist with my Alvey blackies side cast reel. I love alvey reels but line twist is a pain. I will make my own SpinDoctor twin removal sinkers... I recover the float luckily, and another fisho came and said it was his float he lost earlier [emoji15] yeah right and his float must have had swam against the current... Anyway... I resumed fishing.

At around 1 or 2pm we called it a day. Dom caught one blackfish, he is starting with these picky fish and still has a lot of experience to get. I managed to get 8. Steve gave us 3, Marvin gave us 3.

7fffccf38f1a8a07f149f3e3b54f860d.jpg

I kept 5 and gave Dom the rest so he can share them with his folks.

I think tomorrow will be bad too... Oh well...

Huy

Edited by gonefishinginoz

Yes hew I think the weather has got us now. My wife thinks I'm crazy but Bruce aka raider rut came up from Sydney. We managed six with a community bag so he was happy.

See you next time hew. Your wife looks like a good cook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice catch there! Is there a blackfish season? For me they are a year round proposition! I find better and bigger catches in summer when they run to the ocean ledges

Where the lake meets the ocean or the mouth, down the run etc. you get them all year round but on the wall it's a definite season. I've been fishing for them since Easter and getting one or two but it's only been the last couple of weeks when they have come on hard.

Stapo I was been a bit tongue in cheek sorry! A lot of people think they are winter only! For the 35 odd years I have chased them it's been year round but there's definite seasonal variations in catch rates as to location! But they are good fun regardless.

Edited by luderick -angler

Stapo I was been a bit tongue in cheek sorry! A lot of people think they are winter only! For the 35 odd years I have chased them it's been year round but there's definite seasonal variations in catch rates as to location! But they are good fun regardless.

Well let say it is a virtual season, winter comes, fishos catch less of other fish so they say it's blackie time!

--

Huy

That sashimi looks amazing, I actually tried mullet as sashimi the other day and was also surprised

I find that crap table fish are usually good as sashimi. For example I do like Australian Salmon as sashimi. But if you know what you are doing the Australian Salmon can still make a good dish.

--

Huy

Well let say it is a virtual season, winter comes, fishos catch less of other fish so they say it's blackie time!

--

Huy

There's a great DVD/ Vimeo doco called Blackfish A. Fishermans journey. You will see what I mean. And yes there's a lot of people that use them as a fall back in winter. Hence the notion of a winter fish. By the way try smoking the fillets with skin and scales on!

Edited by luderick -angler

There's a great DVD/ Vimeo doco called Blackfish A. Fishermans journey. You will see what I mean. And yes there's a lot of people that use them as a fall back in winter. Hence the notion of a winter fish. By the way try smoking the fillets with skin and scales on!

I watched this morning as it was raining hehe. Great doco

--

Huy

I love them as much than breams. But the key is to keep them alive till the end of the session then bleed and clean or fillet them right away and store them cool during travel.

--

Huy

Steve and The Entrance crew you must be mad. That wind coming off the lake would have blown you to New Zealand.

I am waiting for some floating line ordered on the internet, I think it will be OK however could not find the brand you use Steve. (pm the site address thanks).

My caravan is going in for warranty repair (the hot shower is not working the best) as soon as it is done I will be there. (getting old)

I have weighed all of Tim's float and worked out they need a 10gm sinker and attached the sinker to the float (daughters swimming pool has had floats all over it). Purchasing a 2500 shimarno reel today to match the rod.

I have filleted some of my fish and will smoke them next week, by the way when I was cleaning them the bl----dy pelicans got two. You said don't feed them there was eight watching me and one got behind me and when I bent down to pick up my knife that was it two gone. So every time I got a fish out of the net I accidentally put the hose on them to get them away from the table.

I like fishing with Huy because he has the same problems as me not catching them like you and Tim.

Steve and The Entrance crew you must be mad. That wind coming off the lake would have blown you to New Zealand.

I am waiting for some floating line ordered on the internet, I think it will be OK however could not find the brand you use Steve. (pm the site address thanks).

My caravan is going in for warranty repair (the hot shower is not working the best) as soon as it is done I will be there. (getting old)

I have weighed all of Tim's float and worked out they need a 10gm sinker and attached the sinker to the float (daughters swimming pool has had floats all over it). Purchasing a 2500 shimarno reel today to match the rod.

I have filleted some of my fish and will smoke them next week, by the way when I was cleaning them the bl----dy pelicans got two. You said don't feed them there was eight watching me and one got behind me and when I bent down to pick up my knife that was it two gone. So every time I got a fish out of the net I accidentally put the hose on them to get them away from the table.

I like fishing with Huy because he has the same problems as me not catching them like you and Tim.

Good on you Norm

Hew is catching a few now but we left early just before the wind hit we seen it coming got 7 fish for Bruce.

The Entrance is flooded at the moment so the fishing is hopeless will take a few weeks to settle down. 8afa946df22b89e36c41392f2c7a923f.jpg

I still have weed I got it before the rain.

Edited by Stapo

Good to see there's a few around. I've been chasing them up there for a couple of years now from the yak on blades. Only seems to work over winter when they are schooled up. Will have to give the wall a go one day and see if blades work there.

• 1 year later...
On 04/06/2016 at 2:39 PM, Stapo said:

Where the lake meets the ocean or the mouth, down the run etc. you get them all year round but on the wall it's a definite season. I've been fishing for them since Easter and getting one or two but it's only been the last couple of weeks when they have come on hard.

Can anyone tell me where the wall is it doesnt show in google maps