Flathead session sth Port Hacking

dogbox

Went out with my wife Monday sth Port Hacking after reading a Fishradiers report about the Flathead on the chew.

On the water at 10am, Water temp 20.5, little westerly wind, no swell. Freezing cold I barely thread the line through the hook eye.

We did four drifts from the 30m to 45m depth and by 1 o'clock we had we had reach our bag limit. The average size was 50cm with a few 70cm models. What made this trip different the number of small Flathead where nonexistent.

Did a quick trawl around the cliffs for a O, plenty of bait and birds around.

dogbox

Went out with my wife Monday sth Port Hacking after reading a Fishradiers report about the Flathead on the chew.

On the water at 10am, Water temp 20.5, little westerly wind, no swell. Freezing cold I barely thread the line through the hook eye.

We did four drifts from the 30m to 45m depth and by 1 o'clock we had we had reach our bag limit. The average size was 50cm with a few 70cm models. What made this trip different the number of small Flathead where nonexistent.

Did a quick trawl around the cliffs for a O, plenty of bait and birds around.

dogbox

Average of 50cm! What a great session... The only time I've found them thick they were all sub 40cm...

Glad you filled the freezer for the cooler months!

Was a tad cold out there hey DB, but were rewarded.

Big pod of Dolphins near Jibbon Bommie on the way back in on Monday we saw with a Seal mixed in with them.

I think the Dolphins were herding bait fish as they seemed to be on a mission, lot of tail slapping action to.

P1090601_zpsnar858zn.jpg

P1090612_zpsteil7rid.jpg

I was out there near you too I think. A bit north of Marley Beach? I caught my limit too but all 40-48 cm. Was putting 40s back to upgrade after the first drift! Seals, dolphins, whales - lots to see out there. Got my fish on frozen self caught squid tentacles and fresh slimy mackerel pieces attached to a 3 hook snapper rig with pink nylon material attached.

Edited by kel