Boat & Outboard Care

haynze

Hi Guys long time reader first time poster,

I recently purchased my first boat, a Stessco 4.69 Fish Hunter with a 50hp Suzuki. I'm very happy with the the boat and have taken it out a few times in lake Illawarra.

After taking it out one day and flushing the engine I went inside for less than a minute and when coming back out I notice led there was no water stream to what was followed by a temp alarm. This was due to a kinked hose, I have taken it out since and it seems to be fine but I will be getting it serviced soon anyway as I was already planning to do so

I looked through this site and noticed some people flush their engines in a bucket as opposed to earmuffs and I think I like the sound of that. Are there any pros or cons to this?

After each trip I flush the engine and wash the trailer and boat down. Every two or three times I spray the trailer with Inox on around the tyre/axles and suspension and and have recently replaced and repacked the wheel bearings.

I feel like there is more I can/should be doing to the engine. Should I be applying Inox,grease,lubes to the motor at all or any other moving parts like the steering shaft?

I estimate I will probably get about 100hrs on the engine every year and based on that a yearly service should suffice. Also can anyone recommend a mobile mechanic in the Wollongong area?

Cheers in advance

Haynze

Hi mate,both earmuffs and a drum will flush the outboard fine when used correctly.The drum has the advantage of keeping the noise levels from your outboard down and being able to run salt away through your outboard as an example.

You don't mention if your outboard is 2 stroke or 4 stroke but lubing all grease points at least once a year with good quality grease is a start as well as inspecting/replacing the impellor every other year at least.

There's also the usual fluid/filter/sparkplug changes and keeping an eye on anode wear ad well as regular prop inspections and greasing the splines.

Under the cowl keep an eye on fluid levels,discolouration of the power head,seepage from gaskets,cracked/perished hoses,wiring in good/clean tight condition and generally give everything the Look,touch,feel,wiggle test.

Apply a liberal coat of inox or Lanox every couple of months and have the engine serviced for peace of mind every season if your not capable of doing your own work.

There's a million otter things you can check but these are the basics to start.

If you need more help let me know.

Cheers.

I flush my 90 ETEC using ear muffs with salt away and when it starts come through the exhaust I then turn off the water and leave a residue of salt away in the motor. I then wash the trailer with the rest of the salt away and leave it on the trailer.

I flush my 90 ETEC using ear muffs with salt away and when it starts come through the exhaust I then turn off the water and leave a residue of salt away in the motor. I then wash the trailer with the rest of the salt away and leave it on the trailer.

How do you use Salt away with ear muffs?