Formosa tomahawk 580-620

Scratchie

OMG Scratchie all I can say is if it were me Buying a 6.2 metre a plate boat I'd milk the experience for everything it's worth! I'd test drive EVERY good boat in the range, bar crusher, Quintrex, Formosa, stabicraft you name it. For that much money I imagine the dealers will even put you onto some fish during the test run!

Oh, I'll be test driving everything! Don't need a hand with the fish though! I think my greatest problem will be getting me out of it when it's time to come home! :)

So many nice boats mentioned already, IMO from the research Ive done Formosa tomohawks are best value for money to get you offshore. In saying that there all overpriced including the Formosa. Interesting to see Noble plate boats will be exhibiting at the boat show, thought they went bust after moving the factory to China. Offshore Marine Master and Black Rhino in Queensland make a solid rig, worth a look. Also garaging is a factor for most. Formosa, Bar crusher accomodate for this off the shelf. Would love to see a fold down glass hard top model. Then you have to choose an outboard :unsure:

After a Lotto win id be cruising in an Extreme game king.

So many nice boats mentioned already, IMO from the research Ive done Formosa tomohawks are best value for money to get you offshore. In saying that there all overpriced including the Formosa. Interesting to see Noble plate boats will be exhibiting at the boat show, thought they went bust after moving the factory to China. Offshore Marine Master and Black Rhino in Queensland make a solid rig, worth a look. Also garaging is a factor for most. Formosa, Bar crusher accomodate for this off the shelf. Would love to see a fold down glass hard top model. Then you have to choose an outboard :unsure:

After a Lotto win id be cruising in an Extreme game king

I have never been in a Formosa but they look very beamy to me. Guess that makes a nice platform to fish from but imagine the ride would not be as good as the narrower boats on offer. Mclay boats are also very very nice, i mean very nice. Quite pricey as well. Stabicrafts are awesome, my old man has a 7m Super Cab. They are great when at rest but they take a hell of a toll on your knees when underway in slop. BANG!!! BANG!!! BANG!! They go hard, hit hard. Thats the price you pay for being able to fish a long way out in deep water in big weather and feel safe I guess. I have heard them reffered to as a young mans boat as you do cop hiding. Especially if captain only has one speed. I would not get one as I think the ride is too hard.

Extreme boats are extreme in that they are fully decked. They are the absolute luxury plate boat. All the bells, all the toys. You can't down spec them from the factory. You can't choose no carpet or no Nylac etc. You have to be coined up to buy one. These are for the fisho who won the lottery. Check this video out to see what I mean

Surtees and Barcrusher are very very similar boats. The Barcrusher crowd used to make the Surtees boats under license. Then there was some sort of fall out and Barcrusher took the designs and copied the boats. Even stole the name. The Barcrusher name was even a Surtees model, the audacity!!. They are different now as both have made changes to aesthetics and Surtees have added a lot of design features such as new transom designs and recently overhauled the designs of the whole fleet. Surtees also allow you to hold the water in the ballast chamber for a softer ride underway.

If I was choosing between the two I would go with the designers of the boat rather than the emulators. Both great boats though.

I wish I could buy another boat. Such a rush buying it. But such agony waiting for it to get made. I remember the daily struggle waiting.

Edited by recurve

I've been casually browsing for 6.5m alloy boats.

Best boat i've seen has been the Extreme boats from NZ - hefty price tag but they are seriously decked out.

A mate of mine is going to buy a trident in the next 12 months too, they aren't too bad feature wise.

Surtees look awesome, im just not sure on that beam. It may make the deck feel a bit crowded?

Extreme do look sexy!

Have a look at Phoenix Boats in South Nowra, in a previous life they were Predator boats. Locally built, tough as nails and very seaworthy.

Cheers

Jiggy

Thanks jiggy! I haven't heard of them but I'll take a look!

I have never been in a Formosa but they look very beamy to me. Guess that makes a nice platform to fish from but imagine the ride would not be as good as the narrower boats on offer.

Yea spot on Recurve, the formosa's do slap a bit especially with the reversed chines.

Guest Guest123456789

Lol poor Scratchie - started out on a Formosa 580 and ended up on a 7 metre extreme boat. I hear a kidney fetches a good price in Thailand....

Hi Scratchie,

i didnt have a centre cab but used to own a formosa 5.20 centre console.

I can speak for their build quality and ruggedness. they are a great boat, the challenges i had with mine was making sure electronics were salt free, but thats always a challenge in an open centre console.

I used to take mine well off shore and as said before, they are great in a following sea. Deep sides and grab rails all round made mine safe in a swell too.

Congrats mate, i my self have been looking at a new boat to assualt the gold coast canals with. been looking at the bluefin 4.30 drifter tournament pro

I did.

I made note to climb into everything that was there.

To be honest I was not impressed by the Formosa or the telewater equivalents (Trident and Yellowfin).

The clear winner for me was the Surtees, It was easily the best boat at the show as far as build quality and features go.

Only problem is now I want one :o

Biggest suprise was a 5.6m haines that was tucked into a corner somewhere - Not sure what the go with it was but it was a very nice boat and finished quite well, better than my 495 haines at least.

I have a Surtees and it is a great boat. Toughest Alloy boat you can get. Very well laid out, and very good riding.

Also went to the boat show with wife. She approved a Lonestar Winch :banana: . Installing myself tomorrow. Happy days.

To be honest I was not impressed by the Formosa

I agree, really had my heart set on a formosa, fished out of a friends and enjoyed the experience. But after having a good look at the formosa on a trailer and without the usual clutter of gear Id have to say there are better options for similar money.

I thought the formosa range was cheaper, but like everything once you start adding options that should come standard the price quickly heads north. The Stabicraft 1850 Supercab was tickling my fancy, as were the surtees work mates.

On the plus side I got an awesome deal on a new four stroke Honda to re power the old work horse till the funds are saved for the new hull.

The ferry ride from Darling Harbour to Glebe Island on Friday morning was pretty sweet, Sydney really is a beautiful city from the water.

Either way I think Scratchie has plenty of homework to do.

I have a Surtees and it is a great boat. Toughest Alloy boat you can get. Very well laid out, and very good riding.

Also went to the boat show with wife. She approved a Lonestar Winch :banana: . Installing myself tomorrow. Happy days.

Bet the crew is happy with that purchase Recurve. Something I need on the new rig when it comes, my back is ageing faster than the rest of my body.

Any luck with the reds lately? Scored a few out of JB the other week.

Did you get to the Sydney boat show last weekend Scratchie?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

No mate I didn't. Kids sport and too far to travel. Thanks for all the feedback from everyone though. It felt like I was there without drooling!

Surtees is retained anither boat I'll take a look at.

Something that keeps coming up though is EXTRAS!!! With all boats are the same I guess but now thinking if I buy a second hand one, all those extras are generally included!

post-30623-0-22111200-1470472968_thumb.jpgpost-30623-0-93452300-1470472968_thumb.jpg

Bet the crew is happy with that purchase Recurve. Something I need on the new rig when it comes, my back is ageing faster than the rest of my body.

Any luck with the reds lately? Scored a few out of JB the other week.

I did it for me. Want to anchor at 35m and no bugger wants to do the anchor. If We change our mind or miss the spot no one wants to reset. Figured it will make things more productive. Finished install today. Was quoted $700 to install. Spent $130.00 in materials so saved $570.00. Thinking of putting up a post on how to do this in a Surtees Workmate. Was a bigger job than I thought and I don't have much experience with electrics. Would have been a big help if there was any information on how to install one of these.

So stoked!! Can't wait to use it.

This is a 1000W G2 Lonestar

Edited by recurve