Fishing Turon Gates

locodave

Hi Dave,

Haven't fished there myself but I've heard its hard going.. quality fish but a lot of scrambling through fallen timber and paddocks around the river to reach the

numerous pools holding fish.

Looks like a nice spot though.

Cheers

Jim

The Turon gets 40000 fry each year. It needs good rain consistently as its a very step river rises and falls quickly a hot summer will see it dry up. It's closed at the moment till the October long weekend as its a general trout stream. Have a look earl season whilst there's some water you may pick up the odd fish. Head up into the headwaters for better results

Get's 4000 fish a year?

It looks tough to get a fishing spot. When I went driving I had a look where I would fish i suspect fish to be holding and din't really come across a spot.

Saw a youtube video with someone catching and made me want to try!

Fished there a very long time ago.

in fact I think the property was called Turon Gates - water was very low & only 1 or 2 big pools.

early pre dawn starts saw trout the size of whales leaping from the pools taking indeterminate insects!

I threw everything I had in my tackle box at them eventually giving up & resorting to sticks & rocks in sheer frustration (kidding of course, I didn't throw any sticks...... :blink: )

But I did enjoy the excitement of watching them leap (whilst contemplating the purchase of a shotgun :gun_bandana:)

And I did get to see a platypus cruise up & down the river right in front of me.

Sorry not much help, but thanks for the opportunity to reminisce.

Think of it this way they are fry not fingerlings. The Turin is a marginal river for trout habitat. Last good lot of fish I saw in the river was 2013 they are still there. But survival depends on water temps dissolved oxygen levels etc. trout are a very susceptible to changes and if oxygen levels are low and temps high they go down and do not move a lot. Hence you may not see a lot of fish