Water out of exhaust port

Fishwithme

Hi

I'm relatively new to boats, I've purchased a tinnie with a 15hp 2 stroke motor.

I just noticed that water spouts out the exhaust port that is above the water, below the cowling clip.

Is this normal?

Also it starts and runs fine on higher revs but it cuts out at idle and then takes like 6 pulls before it will start again

What could be the cause of this problem?

Thanks in advance

Hi Fishwithme

1. Water out the exhaust is normal and is a good way to tell your water pump is working and your thermostat is open.

2. Does the motor cut out after going higher revs when you return to idle or it won't idle at all?

Clean or for $10 change your spark plugs.

You may need to just slightly turn up, the idle on the carby maybe 1/4 of a turn.

After any adjustment let it rev and run before doing anymore and take a photo of the original position so you can go back easy enough.

What model and year is the 15hp?

Hi Fishwithme

1. Water out the exhaust is normal and is a good way to tell your water pump is working and your thermostat is open.

2. Does the motor cut out after going higher revs when you return to idle or it won't idle at all?

Clean or for $10 change your spark plugs.

You may need to just slightly turn up, the idle on the carby maybe 1/4 of a turn.

After any adjustment let it rev and run before doing anymore and take a photo of the original position so you can go back easy enough.

What model and year is the 15hp?

Hi mate

Thanks for the info

Whenever I keep it on idle. It'll cut out, regardless of whether I return from higher revs or just after starting

I've always just compensated by starting it and always running it on higher revs

It can be a bit annoying at times

It's starts up fine normally but if it cuts out at idle it takes a while to start back up

It's a 2009 dt15

Does it idle in neutral and only stall when in gear?

I haven't any experience with a DT15, but my Johnson and Mercury both had a adjustment on the throttle return, Stops it going to far and stalling or i just did 1/4 turn up on the idle needle on the carby to the point that it wouldn't die on idle.

You should be able to find a manual online for free or google idle circuit

1. Warm the engine up,

2. take cover off, start engine and put in gear

3. adjust idle so it doesn't stall, the lowest setting even if it runs a little rough (Sometimes its easier to start a little high and slowly work back with the screw)

4. take it for a spin and adjust as necessary

Edited by jeffb5.8