bait session

Krispy !

So the other day I was meant to head out to the peak on my mates boat, but of course the night before someone thought it was a good time to steal his car, so that plan didn't happen. Ended up gathering some bait for future sessions and caught an interesting fish as well which might be a grass whiting. The water is freezing right now and aside from pillys, yakka's, the pike and the squid there wasn't much happening.

post-11865-0-94657700-1468980942_thumb.jpgpost-11865-0-03859200-1468980960_thumb.jpg

Wow, that's disappointing Krispy! Having the car stolen. I hope the boat wasn't attached to it?

How did you catch the pillies? Same as fishing for gars? Never tried for them and wouldn't even know where to look for them!

That's some good fresh bait!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Looks like one of those critters.

Should be back in Sydney within the next fortnight, and you are reporting that the water is cold. Not good news to hear.

Hey yowie, yes the water is really cold around 15 or 16 degrees and the fish are shut down. They might come back on the bite by the time you get back though

Wow, that's disappointing Krispy! Having the car stolen. I hope the boat wasn't attached to it?

How did you catch the pillies? Same as fishing for gars? Never tried for them and wouldn't even know where to look for them!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Hey scratchie, fortunately the boat wasnt with the car, the police have found the car albeit abit damaged, but insurance will sort that out. The pillys are seasonal they usually come in late april but they can be hit and miss. If theyre around and aggressive u can get alot in quick time. Usually just a tiny mosquito hook with a tiny bit of bait (pilchard is best lol) if theyre abit picky and bread crumbs for burley. If theyre aggressive you can just cast and retrieve a bait jig and get full strings of them.

Thanks for the report Krispy.

I had no idea we have pillies in NSW!

Based on how well they fish as a frozen bait vs other common species I'd imagine they would be an awesome live / fresh bait?

Cheers, James

Cheers scratchie!!!

Hey scratchie, fortunately the boat wasnt with the car, the police have found the car albeit abit damaged, but insurance will sort that out. The pillys are seasonal they usually come in late april but they can be hit and miss. If theyre around and aggressive u can get alot in quick time. Usually just a tiny mosquito hook with a tiny bit of bait (pilchard is best lol) if theyre abit picky and bread crumbs for burley. If theyre aggressive you can just cast and retrieve a bait jig and get full strings of them.

Thanks for the report Krispy.

I had no idea we have pillies in NSW!

Based on how well they fish as a frozen bait vs other common species I'd imagine they would be an awesome live / fresh bait?

Cheers, James

We do and these are actually better for bait than the W.A ones as they have a higher oil content by about 10%. They are hard to keep alive because theyre scales fall of very easily but during summer if you can get them and use them live they dont last more than a couple of minutes till you hook up. Great livebait for kingfish ;) Edited by Krispy !

We caught some overseas some time ago, the head decky said

"dont put them in the tank, they will kill everything else"

didnt know what that was about until someone chucked a couple in the tank, as krispy says the scales fall off. these seem to choke or at least get stuck in the gills of the mackerel and cabbys (yakkas) we had, and yep a bunch of them died