Port Hacking

Yowie

Back from 2 months in Qld ( very little fishing took place, mostly cruising around in the caravan) so had to give it a go this morning.

What a difference from the end of May on my last outing.

Fished up from Lilli Pilli in the deep. Burleyed hard and it just attracted little reddies, dozens of them. Did manage one just over legal reddie.

Tried for some jackets, but the reddies grabbed the bait as soon as the line was near the bottom. Only 2 jackets, and they were just big enough to keep. Little reddie after little reddie, all different sizes so it was not the same one each time.

Also managed 2 crabs, again not big ones but just big enough to keep.

The only thing I saw jumping was a pillie, for about 10 seconds, then nothing else.

No photo, as the catch was not worth a photo.

Had a few feeds of fish in Qld (bought, not caught by me) barra, red emperor, large mouth nannygai, mackerel, prawns - all very nice.

well thats a pretty good report yowie. i been out twice last month. not a keeper only reddies!!! and too many to count. would you tell me where about you find leather jacket if i PM you :)?

You will find jackets along most of the deeper rocky areas, close to shore, as they feed on weedy growths on the rocks. Small pieces of squid make good bait, any thing softer and they will chew it off without you feeling a nibble. Use small long shank hooks.

Straight back into it yowie! Good to see! Always a bit dissapointing when your into those bait thieves! For the next month probably the worst time of year to fish. Good luck anyway!

Cheers scratchie!!!

This is the time of year I don't like, as the fishing shuts down due to colder water.

Was going to head out on a charter boat up north, but the days we planned for it were hit by strong sou-easters.

Well done yowie on managing a feed, sounds like its gone quiet for the year!!! if you're not catching much its probably not worth fishing LOL.

Regards,

Nathan

Rather disappointing,

Its hard going at the moment in the hacking, gotta fish super light but there are still some nice trevally and salmon getting around. just wondering do you fish floating baits for the snapper yowie? is there normally bigger ones around or are they all around that size

Its hard going at the moment in the hacking, gotta fish super light but there are still some nice trevally and salmon getting around. just wondering do you fish floating baits for the snapper yowie? is there normally bigger ones around or are they all around that size

Floating baits, allows the bait to sink and can pick up anything free swimming - such as tailor , kings, salmon, trevally - or swimming near the bottom - reds, flatties, red gurnard, jewies.

Tailor, kings, salmon, trevs will also take baits sitting on the bottom, and at times the 50cm plus tailor will feed near the bottom, but not near the surface.

Not too many bigger reds in the Hacking. The occasional one to 40cm or a little bigger, the best I have caught was 4.5 pounds (weighed, not measured)

The legal ones have been a bit quiet over the last few years, but there are plenty of little buggers, so they must be breeding well.

Fished out in Bate Bay this morning for 1 squid, and some little spikey flatties, no blue spots about. Very quiet out there also. At least I saw 2 humpbacks pass near the boat, and I had a visit from a small mako shark, popped up beside the boat then swam off.