Brown rock fishing, 1st time legal size fish

Howe

G'day fellow fish raiders,

For the first time of my life, I actually caught something legal. My friend caught a leather jacket and I got this weird fish but im not sure if I'm correct, but correct me if I'm wrong, It looks like a long finned pike. I dont know if this is a legal size fish because its not in my fishing chart from the nsw fishing department.

I have attached some photo.

P.S how do you cook leather jacket and long finned pike? Is long finned pike good? or should i use the long finned pike for bait fish?.

Thanks.

post-23025-0-51542800-1469966419_thumb.jpg

post-23025-0-78473800-1469966434_thumb.jpg

Well done! For preparing the leather jacket, have a look at a channel called The Hook and The Cookon Youtube, they have a good vid on how to prep them.

Is it okay to eat if its changed its colour? My friend caught it at brown rock and we put it in the esky with water and no ice then halfway along the track i emptied the water and then drive back to the nearest petrol station to get some ice. The leather jacket changed its colour from that photo so I'm not sure if its still safe to eat.

Thanks.

Hi Howe

I can't give you the correct protocol on fish handling, however any fish that I've caught that has been placed in salt water then either iced, refrigerated or cooked within 12 hours has not caused me any grief.

I often fish & camp of a night and leave the fish in a bucket of water overnight.

Removing the guts, gills, bleeding the fish & keeping it as cool as possible can also prolong the shelf life.

Once again this is my own experience, you would probably get a different answer from "best practice" orginisations.

Best of luck on your next trip!

Guest Guest123456789

LFP are very underrated as a table fish. Filleted and skinned the odour is gone and you can grill or fry the fillets same day or next and taste like whiting. Don't bother freezing.

LFP are very underrated as a table fish. Filleted and skinned the odour is gone and you can grill or fry the fillets same day or next and taste like whiting. Don't bother freezing.

LFP is it good for bait? lol i've already chucked it in the freezer, I was thinking of using it as bait, If so do you know how? do i cut it into strips with skin on?. What species of fish eat LFP?.

Cheers.

Thanks

Howe.

Always best to leave skin on fish which are going to be used for bait as this helps to prevent them from falling off the hook easily. I wouldn't consider Pike a good eating fish, probably best kept for bait. Good luck with your next trip out.