First Jew Fish

Garrybeynon

Hi Raiders,

Only new to fishing and been going 6 months now and had some good success. Guess that's why I'm addicted now. Anyway ticking off species off my bucket list and till Friday night Mullaway was one of them. Just got a new reel midweek and wanted to test it out Sedona 3000 got the tackle shop to load some 6pound braid onto it as I want to target some bream. Matched it to my 1-3kg rod and headed off down to my usually spot around Glebe around 5pm and started flicking some plastics around, got onto to some small tailor around 30cm which was fun on the light gear the rod reel combo was working great and my cast distance had greatly increased. Sun went down and the led lenser head torch came out continue to walk the banks looking for fish see a nice flatty sitting on the sand waiting for its prey. Seems a bit unfair but love being able to watch a flatty take a plastic, bounce the paddle tail across the bottom towards the flatty get to about half a metre away and bang awesome to watch drag it in and it's a good size 50cm . That will do its getting close to 7pm better go home for a feed. Decide to have a couple of last flicks around some structure to see if I can get that bream I wanted. Second cast and on the drop something hits my plastics and the drag goes off its head, nice one might get onto that horse bream I wanted. Run stops and I'm onto the reel but to no avail just as quick as i can reel the drag is work against me tighten the drag up a bit remembering I'm on 6 pound braid with 8 pound leader and not want to bust off and continue to work the reel like a madman anyway long story short 15min later I see that silver shine my first Jew get the lip grips out and roll out the brag mat to get a few photos before return him back to live another day.

post-38719-0-19714300-1471172593_thumb.jpg

post-38719-0-00713800-1471172621_thumb.jpg

Cheers everyone, I want to setup a rod to chase bigger fish like these and maybe some rat kingies, that's next on my bucket list. I have a 4000 reel and a 3-5 kg 6ft rod what size braid should I get loaded on it? And any tips getting land based kingies in syd harbour?

Mate well done on your first Jew

On a plastic is something special

I'm yet to get one on a plastic

If your chasing kingies landbased, try Balmoral, Clifton or pier 2

These are all very popular spots during summer, so best to get a spot early

Live squid or yakka is the way to go

Edited by sam bros

Mate well done on your first Jew

On a plastic is something special

I'm yet to get one on a plastic

If your chasing kingies landbased, try Balmoral, Clifton or pier 2

These are all very popular spots during summer, so best to get a spot early

Live squid or yakka is the way to go

Thanks Sam, I don't fish anything but plastics or lures. Guess I'm a bit lazy on getting bait. Do kings go for poddy mullet? There is plenty of them around where I fish.

Awesome work dude, especially to get a 70 cm model on bream gear!

For land-based kingies you could also try Double Bay and Rose Bay: in the warmer months you can see them in close smashing bait up around the wharves there. You'd need a pretty heavy leader and strong leader/braid knot as it's structure-tastic.