Fisheries Officers Can Disrupt Family Fun

2shark

Whilst enjoying the fishing on Botany Bay was again approached by fisheries officers whom do not and cannot accept that families are on the bay for fun. The fisheries officers proceeded to go into search and disbelieve mode asking for license sighting and a boat search. During this search we were at drift and both our craft then interfered with another vessel which was anchored.

It is important that all of us have a licence and support the fish conservation system. However I believe the rigorous enforcement of fish checking could be carried out at the boat ramps or at least in a less disruptive manner. The day was still enjoyed but we could have done without the interruption.

Flattie man

I didn't think the fisheries blokes had the power to search your boat, I am probably wrong I havent ever been stopped by these guys. I will be interested to find out for sure by other fish raiders.

Gaven

Edited by Bankso

Guest bluecod

I checked the Fisheries Act and the Fisheries Management Act a couple of weeks ago and they can come aboard whenever they like - much the same as a law enforcement officer [Police] as they actually are!

It is not clear whether they have powers under Federal law outside the State's 3 nautical mile limit.

Edited by bluecod

IMHO, it's a good thing that they are getting out there on the water and showing their faces and getting serious.

It's about time they earned their keep.

Let's hope that they get the results to go with it and people start to respect the job the officers are out there to do.

And :1welcomeani: flattie man,.

cheers

Hooky

yeh same goes :1welcomeani: flattie man. :thumbup:

I have been inspected three times in botany, twice in the h'bury and once in the harbour. I suspect that a choco import wearing a beanie flicking sp's suspiciously around the restricted runways has to generate some interest :1prop::1prop:

Each time though the officers have been friendly and courteous. Once i didn't have my licence on me, they made me fax it in two weeks. Another time my uncle didn't have all safety equip and they 'advised' us on what to have next time. Most conversation revolved around the fish we had caught and how we caught them. Quite harmless really.

In fact, the whole experince made me have some hope that things will be better with some fisheries visibility present in our popular waterways. :thumbup::thumbup:

Since when do you need a license to use your boat in Botany Bay?? As far as I know as long as you stay under 10 knots you don't need a license no matter how big the boat is!! Mind you I do have a license and I recommend you get one but as I said before it is not law to have one

cheers

Hi Guys,

The last time out on the Parra my 8 year old and I got inspected by two extremely nice fisheries officers. Quite young, bloke and a woman.

They saw we were drifing (in Hen and Chicken Bay) and took the effort to come around to the other side so not to interfere with our fishing. Checked my license and had a look in the fishbox (we release all fish anyway when fishing there). We had a chat about our days efforts and Andy marvelled at the twin 150's on the back on their boat, they gave Andy some stickers and fishing guide, and they were off.

I've also been checked at the ramp when I have bought a fish home in places like the hacking and botany and have never had a problem with these guys.

Just my experience but I'm glad they're out there and would like to see them a lot more doing a valuable job.

Cheers

David.

i could be wrong but my understanding is that without a boat licence you can drive a boat with 6hp or less and junior boat licence holders are the ones that have to stay under 10kn???

It doesn't matter what hp the boat is Chris you can drive it unlisenced as long as you don't exceed 10 knotts.

I think it was probably fishing licences they were checking also.

It's the start of the boating season and I reckon it's a good thing their out their checking boats. I know it's an inconvenience but everytime someone gets into trouble and does not have the correct safety gear people have to risk their lives saving these dicks not to mention the cost to the tax payer.

I was listening to one of the waterways guys on high tide last week and he searched a boat heading outside that had flares that expired in 1966.

I also know outnumbered towed some blokes in fron the bay a few months back that had no gear on board at all not even a rope and anchor so god knows where they would have ended up if no one came along.

To be honest if everyone on the water had common sense we wouldn't need these guys but unfortunately they dont.

Oh and :1welcomeani: to the site flattie man

Most have been drunk last night :074: I now realise it's a fishing license you guys are talking about :insane:

Cheers

I was wondering what happened to this thread. :1prop:

After Dorado 2 replied with a wrong assumption most posters seemed to answer his post.

Does anyone ever read the original (first post of a thread) and then answer with a reply. :wacko::05::biggrin2:

My question is when are they actually going to target the areas that are regulary frequented by law breaking fishos of a certain ethnic backgrounds that take undersized fish day in & day out without any reprisals? :thumbdown:

With u all the way on that 1 mate... couldnt agree more..

:1welcomeani: flattieman.....

My question is when are they actually going to target the areas that are regulary frequented by law breaking fishos of a certain ethnic backgrounds that take undersized fish day in & day out without any reprisals? :thumbdown:

I agree with you 100%... but to zone in on 'ethnics' that keep undersize fish is a bit rich. Yes there is an element of that but i have seen tons of 'anglo' fisherman that have kept undersize fish also. Singling one minority group is a little presumptuous in my opinion. It doesn't matter what nationality you are, if you are going to keep small fish and brake the rules you should be targeted and punished. I think we all agree to this.

I agree with you 100%... but to zone in on 'ethnics' that keep undersize fish is a bit rich. Yes there is an element of that but i have seen tons of 'anglo' fisherman that have kept undersize fish also. Singling one minority group is a little presumptuous in my opinion. It doesn't matter what nationality you are, if you are going to keep small fish and brake the rules you should be targeted and punished. I think we all agree to this.

I couldnt agree with you more Kevvie Just last week I saw a Vietnamese faimly taking the undersize bream thing. I belive that as a well informed angler Its my role to educate, the Ol' Honey not Salt approach. After telling this faimly that what they were doing was illegal and that they faced massive fines if caught and then showing them a better more positive way to fish I hope that the problem will not occur next time. They understood the message and we both left happy. Of course once is acceptable twice is a crime.

Yep, fair enough Kevvie. It's just that some people do it far more often than others.

By the way, apart from Aboriginals, we are all from "ethnic" backgrounds anyway! :beersmile:

• 2 weeks later...