How is Bradley Head/Clifton Garden fishing?

KevSydney

Kev,

I went to Clifton gardens on a Sunday on a ferry a few years ago and there was a few blokes were fishing I asked them what they were catching according to them they were using live yakkas to catch John Dory?? off the wharf? not sure how true that is but I was like yeah sweet ok good luck with that

Kev,

I went to Clifton gardens on a Sunday on a ferry a few years ago and there was a few blokes were fishing I asked them what they were catching according to them they were using live yakkas to catch John Dory?? off the wharf? not sure how true that is but I was like yeah sweet ok good luck with that

Clifton gardens wharf is a good winter spot for John Dory and small live yakkas are great bait for them so they weren't spinning you a yarn.

Give it a try on the high tide after dark.

Cheers

Jim

Clifton gardens wharf is a good winter spot for John Dory and small live yakkas are great bait for them so they weren't spinning you a yarn.

Give it a try on the high tide after dark.

Cheers

Jim

Fished Clifton thousands of times & never seen a JD caught there. Just about everything else but though

Fished Clifton thousands of times & never seen a JD caught there. Just about everything else but though

Didn't say it was easy!... but here is the general recommended technique and its pretty different to how most would fish the wharf so its not surprising that

you wont see many caught unless specifically targeted.

Use a live yakka with its tail trimmed to slow it down. Rig it with a sinker below the hook and suspend it close in to the wharf about a meter off the bottom.

No guarantees but this will give you the best chance.

Cheers

Jim

Very hard fish to catch

But they have been caught at clifton.

Search John dory on fishraider, there have been a couple raiders that have caught them in the past

Didn't say it was easy!... but here is the general recommended technique and its pretty different to how most would fish the wharf so its not surprising that

Use a live yakka with its tail trimmed to slow it down. Rig it with a sinker below the hook and suspend it close in to the wharf about a meter off the bottom.

Cheers

Jim

Hi jim,

Many species mush easier to chase even in winter than Dory at Clifton. But yes I know they are there & I've chased them with a number of different rigs over the years usually with live yakka. I've hooked more big flathead & flounder than anything else even picked up a few hairtail. But no luck with Dory as yet.

Kingys

Hi jim,

Many species mush easier to chase even in winter than Dory at Clifton. But yes I know they are there & I've chased them with a number of different rigs over the years usually with live yakka. I've hooked more big flathead & flounder than anything else even picked up a few hairtail. But no luck with Dory as yet.

Kingys

Wouldn't argue with that mate!... certainly not an easy fish to find nowadays.

Looks like you are the same vintage as me so I am not sure how far you go back fishing Clifton Gardens but by my recollection

as a young fella its nothing like it was 50 years ago...

OMG did I just say 50 years ago!

Cheers

Jim

Wouldn't argue with that mate!... certainly not an easy fish to find nowadays.

Looks like you are the same vintage as me so I am not sure how far you go back fishing Clifton Gardens but by my recollection

as a young fella its nothing like it was 50 years ago...

OMG did I just say 50 years ago!

Cheers

Jim

Hi Jim,

No I'm a recent convert to the Clifton Wharf. Only been going for 15 years or so. hahaha

Kingys

use to catch heaps of John Dory from Manly wharf using live yellowtail-about 40 years ago :)

Jim...

The statement I've heard untold number of times has always been... "you should have been here yesterday...."

but now it's "you should have been here 40 years ago......." We must be getting old

Cheers

Jim

Is this a dropper type setup? Would you let the sinker hit the bottom?

Also, what type of hook would you use? Standard livey hook for kingies/salmon or something smaller?

A bloke I know bagged a nice JD around the corner at Balmoral last winter using a small livey under a float. He wasn't targeting JD so I think he was a bit lucky. I'd love to go after them.

On topic - I haven't fished there recently but there are some real monster trevally that come in during the winter. Use a float and try and get yourself a spot at the front of the wharf (I know that can be pretty difficult at times) as the trev sometimes won't venture too close to the bath structure.

The statement I've heard untold number of times has always been... "you should have been here yesterday...."

but now it's "you should have been here 40 years ago......." We must be getting old

Yes mate. Certainly Sydney harbour was a different fishery 50 years ago.

Cheers

Jim

Is this a dropper type setup? Would you let the sinker hit the bottom?

Also, what type of hook would you use? Standard livey hook for kingies/salmon or something smaller?

A bloke I know bagged a nice JD around the corner at Balmoral last winter using a small livey under a float. He wasn't targeting JD so I think he was a bit lucky. I'd love to go after them.

Yes,

Sinker on the bottom and say a 4/0 hook... they have a pretty big gob on them!

Cheers

Jim

As a teen 40 years ago, you could put a yakka out at Clifton Gardens anytime of the year and I always caught something, from kings, tailor, salmon, JD to the big bite off. It was a location if you had live bait you caught fish, but this winter is very poor. As far as using yakkas I cut the top part of the tail off so the fish would swim irregularly, rather than shortening the tail to slow the fish. Thank you everyone for your replys.

Kev

• 2 weeks later...

went there a couple of months ago with a mate.

we caught a few bream and a Trevally.

I want to try that spot with live bait but Yellowtail are a pain in the behind to get when you need them.

Very crowded spot on weekends day and night

There are better spots around.

• 1 month later...

Bradley's Head: I went fishing there after no luck with Clifton Gardens. There weren't many people there but they were all using HUGE 12 foot rods. Even though they were using long rods, they only caught bream (probably because they used chicken as bait), I cast out a line repeatedly until night and couldn't get a bite but it is sure nice to feel a nibble :D !

Clifton Gardens: Disastrous. Too many people fishing so I ended up near the swimming pool side :(. I didn't catch anything, not even a nibble!

Anyways good luck fishing! amberjack out!