Bass season

JonD

We don't normally do this silly freshwater fishing but with such a warm sunny day and the fact it's the first day of the bass season, why not.

Picked up my daughter after school and headed to the Tuross river. After flicking a few plastics into the trees ( not used to casting such silly little things) we soon hooked a few, well my daughter did. I aventualy got one so we headed home with that ticked off the list!!

Jon

010916_GP_6608_zpsbxgjk35h.jpg

010916_GP_6611_zpsxzuutmb2.jpg

G'day Jon. Well done to you both on catching such wonderful fish. Now freshwater fishing isn't dumb at all. I've never caught a Bass but have fished Tuross Lake and lower part of the river (saltwater areas). How far upstream do you have to go to get these Bass and are you using a boat, kayak, or land based? If a boat, where are you putting it in? Keen to consider trying to catch one of these wiley critters when next down there. Cheers, Neil.

G'day Jon. Well done to you both on catching such wonderful fish. Now freshwater fishing isn't dumb at all. I've never caught a Bass but have fished Tuross Lake and lower part of the river (saltwater areas). How far upstream do you have to go to get these Bass and are you using a boat, kayak, or land based? If a boat, where are you putting it in? Keen to consider trying to catch one of these wiley critters when next down there. Cheers, Neil.

Sorry for the delay getting back ( just been for a quick session at JB ).

Some of the little creek arms just bellow Tuross bridge hold both bass and perch but to really get among good numbers of bass you are better of heading further upstream. We used to get a little quintrex 385 quite far up the river past the bridge, often needing to get out and push in the shallow areas.

If you drive south to Bodalla halfway through the town you will notice a right hand turn ( the second right leads to the same place) if you head up there you will come across a few more little right hand turns that cross over the upper reaches of the river. Around many of these little bridges you can park the car and head off by yak.

Some of the farmers let us park on their land but mostly we just explore with kayaks. There's also way more on offer than just bass as some thumper whiting get quite far up the back reaches as do big bream and mullet.

The back of the river system is fantastic for water dragons, kingfishers, and often a few eagles too, a great place to just absorb nature and rarely see another soul.

Jon

Many thanks for the info Jon. I have seen schools of large mullet near to the bridge. The water looked very fishable, but as I was just having a nosey I just made a mental note. I enjoy fishing the lake and lower reaches of the Tuross area. Have had some nice fish on sps. Cheers. Neil

Sorry for the delay getting back ( just been for a quick session at JB ).

Some of the little creek arms just bellow Tuross bridge hold both bass and perch but to really get among good numbers of bass you are better of heading further upstream. We used to get a little quintrex 385 quite far up the river past the bridge, often needing to get out and push in the shallow areas.

If you drive south to Bodalla halfway through the town you will notice a right hand turn ( the second right leads to the same place) if you head up there you will come across a few more little right hand turns that cross over the upper reaches of the river. Around many of these little bridges you can park the car and head off by yak.

Some of the farmers let us park on their land but mostly we just explore with kayaks. There's also way more on offer than just bass as some thumper whiting get quite far up the back reaches as do big bream and mullet.

The back of the river system is fantastic for water dragons, kingfishers, and often a few eagles too, a great place to just absorb nature and rarely see another soul.

Jon

Sounds like a good area for photography too.