Shore based slow jigging for...SQUID!?

Chaohuang

Went for a quick arvo session after work today at the local rock platform and tried shore slow jigging. Early in the session, I thought I hooked a big bunch of weed but it turned out to be a squid, my first squid in Sydney sinced I moved here this year! Then came a hook up that felt more like a fish but after a few head shakes it got off... a few casts later another bite, this time I managed to land it... a small trev, put it back in the water. Just before I leave, another hit, this time it is pulsing and heavy, I know it is a good sized squid. I think I won't need a squid jig ever again. XD

post-38423-0-64939500-1472730441_thumb.jpgpost-38423-0-12158100-1472730570_thumb.jpgpost-38423-0-91226200-1472730778_thumb.jpg

Edited by mshuangchao

Nice by catch.

Can you run us through your slow/shore jigging technique. Technique, water depth, sea bottom types would be helpful.

I've dabbled but not had much success.

Thanks Kooks,

I am no expert on shore slow, so this is just from what I know...

Since shore slow mainly targets bottom species, it would be ideal if you start off by fishing a sandy bottom, rocky or weedy bottom and you are looking to lose a lot of expensive jigs. As for depth, I tend to like the deeper places, but shallow areas fish just as well at certain times. Use slimmer, heavier jigs for the deeper areas and vice versa. The technique is simple, cast out and watch your line, crank it up a bit as soon as you hit bottom. To do a proper shore slow retrieve, imagine you are slow jigging from a boat, but horizontally. Stick your rod up high and do one pitch one jerk. The tempo of your jerk is very important, too fast and your jig will rise all the way to the surface, too slow and you will be dragging your jig along the bottom. If you are targeting bottom species, you want the pace just fast enough to keep the jig darting and fluttering at the bottom third of the water column. It takes quite a bit of trial of error until you can get a good feel of where your jig is at any given moment. I must add that the rod is very important, you want something that is lightweight, with a relatively soft tip to actually bounce the jig. Shore slow allows the jigger to target more species than traditional shore jigging, and even squid apparently. Hope this helps!

Check this video out:

Edited by mshuangchao

Thanks for the tips. That video is great. I've been going way to high with my rod tip.

I bought a light 10ft Daiwa Air Edge rod. From memory its about 4-6kg with 10-40gm lure capacity. It's very tippy too so I think it seems about right.

Great catch and thank you for sharing the technique.

No worries!

Thanks for the tips. That video is great. I've been going way to high with my rod tip.

I bought a light 10ft Daiwa Air Edge rod. From memory its about 4-6kg with 10-40gm lure capacity. It's very tippy too so I think it seems about right.

It might be a bit short for rock shore fishing, but it depends on where you are fishing.