New plotter sounder

JonD

Just upgraded from my old Lowrance hds 8 to a new hds 12 gen 3. I must say if you are used to using the old models then the new ones are quicker and easier to use, it seems you have a choice of doing most things without needing to delve into menus.

I opted for the Lowrance over Simrad due to the Lowrance having more down dpi, the more you have in this area the better you will separate and find fish.

Things didn't quite fit as well as the old unit, so I had to move a few things (including the garage door). The only mistake I made was to back all my old marks to a sd card, without realising the new model uses micro sd (old model now gone).

Looking forward to getting out for a trial and hope to upgrade sidescan to 3D scan later on.

Jon

Edited by JonD

Can you use a card reader to convert from SD to micro SD.

My PC has a card reader and I think I have a portable one lying around if your in Sydney, one of the IT background members might know if it's possible.

I have done this too. We exported marks from my old HDS 5 onto an SD card, copied to a laptop, then copied onto a micro SD and imported them onto my mates new Dimrad. I now have a backup copy of my marks on a laptop (unfortunately i can't remember whose laptop). If you make a habit out of it you can get micro SD cards that come with an adapter (like the navionics one) so you can use the one SD card in either.

Nice one Jon. What transducer?

The Lowrance 200-50 htz worked well on my older unit to 600m so will try that first. I did buy an airmar tm 260 a few years ago which I saw no gain at all in deep water, infact I found it to be quite problematic so sold it.

I also have the lss2 sidescan fitted under hull for shallower work and may swap this over to the 3D scan when funds allow.

While looking into chirp transducers I came across a review by Dr Sonar which ran a side by side test on a chirp transducer compared to the one I already have, according to the review there was no noticeable difference.

Jon

Moved the gps marks over but for some reason it has duplicated most of them between 8-10 times, suppose that may of been part of the problem of the old unit. Sat there for 4 hrs manually removing them but looking at the slider down the side Ive barely moved at all,

Jon

Moved the gps marks over but for some reason it has duplicated most of them between 8-10 times, suppose that may of been part of the problem of the old unit. Sat there for 4 hrs manually removing them but looking at the slider down the side Ive barely moved at all,

Does Lowrance have software for the computer that you can import your marks and edit or back them up? this would be good but i have no idea. Alternatively find some software that will allow you to modify compatible file formats. There is an extremely messy idea below but im not sure if it will work or not sorry.

can you open the file in Excel or a similar program and delete the points you don't want. To do this you may have to export a file format that Microsoft Excel or similar can read (like a CSV file). If the duplicate points have a similar name or number you may be ok with it as it comes in and delete the chunks with the duplicate coordinates. If not you may have to do a "Custom Sort" of the data by the latitude or longitude (i'd pick latitude and you will have less double ups of points that have the same Lat but slighlty different Long). This will list all of the points from either north to south or south to north (doesn't matter) then scroll through and delete the chunks that have the same Lat AND Long leaving one point. Make sure if there is a -VE sign in front of your Latitude that you keep it there. Then you will need to export a file format that the Lowrance can read and import.

ALWAYS save the original file as a new name so that you are not changing the format or data in the original in case something goes wrong (highly likely). Make sure the units for the Lat and Long are correct going in and out in the different formats. eg Decimal Degrees, Degrees and Decimal Minutes or Degrees, Minutes and Seconds.

I'm pretty flat out with work and other things over the next few weeks but if you are still having dramas after then and want to email me the file i can attempt to muck around with it for you. I can't make any promises of success sorry.