Spin reel in 2500 size

Mike89

I'm hoping to get a new outfit for jigging and learning plastics over the summer. I've looked at a couple of nice rods but at the moment I'm more concerned with the reel. The rod will be around 7'.

At the moment I've been thinking of a Symetre or an Aernos in the 2500 size as I've heard they are both good reels. This is around my budget and I wouldn't want to spend anything more than $200 at the most.

Can anyone vouch for either of these reels? I believe the Symetre is a little cheaper than the Aernos. Also, I'm pretty unfamiliar with non-Shimano brands. Are there any reels from other manufacturers that I might be overlooking?

Thanks for the help!

With both of those techniques you'll be using the rod and reel for long periods so it's probably most important to get the balance and feel right. Of course, the rod and reel will also have to suit hooking and landing your target species. Good luck.

I think the sale may have passed but see if you can locate either the Stradic Ci4+ FA and the Rarenium Ci4+ FB. Both were below 200AUD as they have been recently discontinued.

Cheers for the tip, unfortunately no such luck - can't find one under $250.

Target species are bream, flathead, whiting and trevally. Maybe salmon.

Good point Neil on matching the rod to reel.

Coming from someone that has spent thousands on game reels and custom rods when it comes to my lighter tackle from 5 to 20lb gear all my reels are now Symetre. I currently have 8 and any others I replace will be with the Symetre as well. I do believe the Nasci is worth considering but haven't need to purchase anything new since they've been released.

I've got the Symetre 2500 and it's a great reel though I did have to get it repaired after I accidentally hooked a legal kingie and it fried the drag (still landed it though!) I also have a Stradic FK in a different size and if I bought another 2500 it'd be a Stradic FK. Phenomenal reel for the price... So if you can stretch the budget get a Stradic but if not then the Symetre is a great little budget reel.

I am still struggling to break my $12.50 Jarvis Walker 2500 reel in light estuary/rock fishing (mostly breams, flatheads, whitings and pigs) for the 4th year, so I can buy something decent.

Edited by savit

I use 5lb braid and have had no trouble winding in flathead, bream and have even caught salmon.

Just make sure you get good quality braid since their breaking strain is usually much higher than what it says on the packet

The lighter line makes it so much easier to cast further and more accurately

I use anything down to 4-5lb on the Symetre 1000 but find going lighter does make the knots a bit harder as the light stuff is not only thinner but very supple and tend to blow around in the breeze. On the 2500 now I stick to 8-12lb but that may have more to do with my eyesight than fishing requirements.