Trim up but not trim down

takethebait

Hi,

I was out this morning and trimmed up when coming in to the beach at Clontarf. I stopped a bit short so went to trim down - nothing. Tried with the button on the throttle (up front) as well as the button on the side of the motor. However, it would trim up!

So after dropping off on the beach, I've now got the motor fully trimmed up but its not going down. I spent a few minutes thinking about what to do next, but before doing anything gave it another try. Now it's decided to work! No problems again for the rest of the day.

It's only six months old (Suzuki 50hp) and never had any problems . Anyone had anything similar? I was even wondering if it was a "feature" and maybe I had bumped the bottom?

Cheers, Brett.

Hey Brett if both trim buttons are playing up sounds like there might be a loose connection on the engine side. Works sometimes but then looses contact and doesn't work. If you bought the boat from a dealer just give them a call and it'll be under warranty.

To get you out of trouble in future, there should be a relief screw near the trim rods. If you loosen the screw if releases the hydraulic pressure and lets the motor down. Be sure to tighten the screw back up when you're finished. Might save you getting a tow back to the ramp.

Cheers

Pete

We had that problem a few times with our old '96 Evinrude. It was one of the Trim swtiches that would die or have a bad connection. They were little black cubes about an inch wide. They were on the outboard inside the cowling. sometimes if there was a bad connection they just needed a wiggle. One day my motor trimmed up and i couldn't get it down to drive home so i pulled out the "up" switch and put it in the "down" switch socket, tilted the motor down and then swapped them back. From then on i carried spares in the glove box. Im not sure of the setup in a new Suzuki, i haven't had the problem in mine yet.

Hi,

I was out this morning and trimmed up when coming in to the beach at Clontarf. I stopped a bit short so went to trim down - nothing. Tried with the button on the throttle (up front) as well as the button on the side of the motor. However, it would trim up!

So after dropping off on the beach, I've now got the motor fully trimmed up but its not going down. I spent a few minutes thinking about what to do next, but before doing anything gave it another try. Now it's decided to work! No problems again for the rest of the day.

It's only six months old (Suzuki 50hp) and never had any problems . Anyone had anything similar? I was even wondering if it was a "feature" and maybe I had bumped the bottom?

Cheers, Brett.

There is no "feature" that does anything like that, but you can set the upper and lower limits.

I have a Suzuki 60HP and had the same problem which started like yours and got worse and worse until I found what it was.

The wiring for the tilt switch/ sensor can get caught and damaged in between where the engine tilts and hinges. It's not a good design where the wires run.

Check the wiring from the sensor on the outside of the engine for damage. It's very easy to find and check.

Even if this is not the cause, I would advise to check these wires are not getting caught up when tilting.

Thanks for the replies and ideas. Spoke with my mechanic and agree that it might be a relay but since its only happenned once I'm going to leave it for now and see. Its only a 50hp so I can use the release screw and lift by hand if I do get stuck.

I'll have a look at those sensor wires too.