First baitcaster advice

Mr_clownface

Hi,

I purchased a near new Daiwa lexa 100h reel and need some advice purchasing a suitable rod considering I have never used a baitcaster and interested to learn.

My budget is limited and fibreglass rod is my preference.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by shaun_burkesh

Mate, tell us what fish and how are you going to chase with it for some suggestions. Fibreglass may not be the best options for lures.

I would suggest to visit closest BCF or other large tackle store in your area and try your reel with different baitcaster rods to feel how it is balanced and comfortable to cast.

Shakespeare Ugly Sick would be a good choice. They have good quality guides and other fittings and very tough (resistant to knocks etc).

The Silstar Crytal Blue Powertip has similar properties and is good value.

You will want to decide whether you want a single handed rod or double handed. Single handed would be better for accurate casting (eg bass fishing in rivers), double handed would be better for big fish fighting and casting distance.

Edited by kingfishbig

Mate, tell us what fish and how are you going to chase with it for some suggestions. Fibreglass may not be the best options for lures.

I would suggest to visit closest BCF or other large tackle store in your area and try your reel with different baitcaster rods to feel how it is balanced and comfortable to cast.

In the past I have always baitfished for usual bream flatty,

I recently bought some lures to give it a go,so I will probably to a bit of both with the baitcaster.

Cheers

Shakespeare Ugly Sick would be a good choice. They have good quality guides and other fittings and very tough (resistant to knocks etc).

The Silstar Crytal Blue Powertip has similar properties and is good value.

You will want to decide whether you want a single handed rod or double handed. Single handed would be better for accurate casting (eg bass fishing in rivers), double handed would be better for big fish fighting and casting distance.

Thanks kingfishbig,

I like ugly stik,they are good quality rods,asap I will visit my local tackle store(a lot cheaper than BCF) and match my reel with a suitable rod,

Cheers[emoji3]

My advice Shaun would be to match the reel to a suitable rod, rig it up with appropriate line and practice casting with the set up, using an old lure (minus the hooks). They are quite tricky to master and you don't want to spend the entire fishing trip untangling birds nests. Good luck.

You're going to find it very hard to throw light lures & plastics

on a baitcaster if your just starting out.

Stick to a light, graphite rod & spin reel.

Lures 7g and above should be no problems for a small baitcaster, ie bass and flathead lures. Bream lures would be a problem as they tend to be very small/ lightweight lures.

My advice Shaun would be to match the reel to a suitable rod, rig it up with appropriate line and practice casting with the set up, using an old lure (minus the hooks). They are quite tricky to master and you don't want to spend the entire fishing trip untangling birds nests. Good luck.

Thanks for the advive Big Neil,

It's a good idea,best to practice a while,

Will a baitcaster cast further than a good spinning reel?

Will a baitcaster cast further than a good spinning reel?

I would say that good baitcaster may cast further than spinning reel. However good baitcasters are not cheap. So if you are looking for distance - spinning reel will give you much more value for money particularly for small/light lures or baits. Bait casting reels (particularly small baitcasters) are more about control and precision casting rather than the distance casting. This is important when you cast around snags/branches etc when each wrong cast may cost you $5-$25 lure or you are not in the strike zone. Think of them as manual and auto transmission car. Manuals may not drive faster however they are considered cool and give you more fun and control over the car if you learn how to drive them.

I would say that good baitcaster may cast further than spinning reel. However good baitcasters are not cheap. So if you are looking for distance - spinning reel will give you much more value for money particularly for small/light lures or baits. Bait casting reels (particularly small baitcasters) are more about control and precision casting rather than the distance casting. This is important when you cast around snags/branches etc when each wrong cast may cost you $5-$25 lure or you are not in the strike zone. Think of them as manual and auto transmission car. Manuals may not drive faster however they are considered cool and give you more fun and control over the car if you learn how to drive them.

Thanks for the advice savit,much appreciated.

Thanks for the advice savit,much appreciated.

I don't think that a baitcaster will cast further than a spinning reel because the baitcaster is actually turning the spool as the line comes off. Hence MORE resistence (= less distance). Consider spinnerbait reels as a tool for aiding short, accurate casts of (often) lightweight lures.

Shaun. Which subburb do you live ? maybe if you are not too far from Berala/Lidcombe, maybe I could come over with a few rods/reels and teach you how to use a baitcaster, and run you through the basics of what rod to look for.

Send me a PM and we will work something out, NO CHARGE as I like to help people out any way I am able.

Frank

I don't think that a baitcaster will cast further than a spinning reel because the baitcaster is actually turning the spool as the line comes off. Hence MORE resistence (= less distance). Consider spinnerbait reels as a tool for aiding short, accurate casts of (often) lightweight lures.

Actually there is resistance with a threadline reel as the line is pulled over the lip of the spool. Also the spinning spool of an overhead reel has it's own momentum and actually pushes out line. I think the distance records are held by overhead reels because of this difference. In practical terms when fishing there is less of a difference as you want to control backlashes so tend to brake the reel (either with your thumb or with magnets or other devices), at the expense of some distance.

Thanks for your informative comments kingfishbig. I usually fish in a river that is seldom more than 20 mtrs wide so distance casting is seldom an issue. I do fish with both types of reels and always manage much greater distance with the spinning reel...probably because the baitcaster is a more controlled cast. You have to use your thumb or end up with birds nests. Cheers, Neil.

• 2 weeks later...

Shaun. Which subburb do you live ? maybe if you are not too far from Berala/Lidcombe, maybe I could come over with a few rods/reels and teach you how to use a baitcaster, and run you through the basics of what rod to look for.

Send me a PM and we will work something out, NO CHARGE as I like to help people out any way I am able.

Frank

I'm in regents park frank,which is very close to Berala,i will drop you a message when I'm free,I appreciate your offer to assist[emoji106]

Choice of rod really depends what you are fishing for, and what weight lures you are using. Baitcasters are fantastic in freshwater for natives such as cod and Yellowbelly because of the increased casting accuracy. As savit said accurate casting around snags and other structure will produce fish. As Neil mentioned baitcasters require a different skill than using a spinning reel. It requires more eye-hand (thumb) coordination, but is a very satisfying method of fishing. Do not give up on baitcasters if you have trouble with bird nests. Practice, practice, practice. Even when the fishing is slow, there is an art to casting right in tight to structure, and it makes a day on the water very enjoyable when you master it. Good luck with you purchase.

Choice of rod really depends what you are fishing for, and what weight lures you are using. Baitcasters are fantastic in freshwater for natives such as cod and Yellowbelly because of the increased casting accuracy. As savit said accurate casting around snags and other structure will produce fish. As Neil mentioned baitcasters require a different skill than using a spinning reel. It requires more eye-hand (thumb) coordination, but is a very satisfying method of fishing. Do not give up on baitcasters if you have trouble with bird nests. Practice, practice, practice. Even when the fishing is slow, there is an art to casting right in tight to structure, and it makes a day on the water very enjoyable when you master it. Good luck with you purchase.

Thanks Cargo! [emoji106]