Lowrance elite 7

garfield28

Hi all,

I have the Lowrance elite 7 with chirp and I'm having issues keeping bottom and also with the display. When at speed I lose bottom picture and the depth flashes 0.00 along with fuzzy lines all over the display. I went out the other day for the first time in near 3 months and the display was mainly all white with the bottom showing faded and in the middle of the screen. I never seem to be able to get arches show either.. are these units supposed to hold bottom even at speed? I thought the unit was a late technology unit and capable of doing so, did I think wrong or is it my settings or software? Anyone with answers or a solution after having the same problem very much appreciated.

Thanks

Geoff

10 bucks your transducer is too low. It's gotta skim not gouge.

Your lowrance will lose its depth range and get stuck on @ .4m. Solution- change depth scale to a depth range for a few seconds then return to auto.

Google up lowrance elite problems for more info. Don't do it if you're busy

Incredible hull seriously consider swapping it for something that works

Thanks for that I'll check it out. I'll get a pic of the transducer too and post it on here.

I am not an experienced sounder user but I'm over the problems I've had with this unit, I don't know if it's just me but I know a couple of guys who seem to just get on the water and never have issues with theirs, one I know is a HDS model but for the $1300 I paid for my unit when it first came out I'm very disappointed to say the least!

Hi all,

I have the Lowrance elite 7 with chirp and I'm having issues keeping bottom and also with the display. When at speed I lose bottom picture and the depth flashes 0.00 along with fuzzy lines all over the display. I went out the other day for the first time in near 3 months and the display was mainly all white with the bottom showing faded and in the middle of the screen. I never seem to be able to get arches show either.. are these units supposed to hold bottom even at speed? I thought the unit was a late technology unit and capable of doing so, did I think wrong or is it my settings or software? Anyone with answers or a solution after having the same problem very much appreciated.

Thanks

Geoff

These sounders can be hit or miss as the transducers seem very susceptible to placement and angle.

I had one on my boat with no issues once I set the angle right and when I upgraded to an HDS I gave it to another Raider who doesn't seem to have any issues.

Maybe take a picture of the transducer mount as a good start and post it here.

Cheers

Jim

Edited by fragmeister

I just fitted a 9 to my boat.

Pretty much set the transducer like you did.

I have been out once since and took a mate Laurie.

He had it worked out in 10 mins.

Looks like he will be comming out regularly till i work it out. Lol

Seemed to work ok.

Bit of spray when traveling fast.

Might have to adjust it slightly.

post-39713-0-89373500-1475249407_thumb.png

Hi Geoff,

I finally fitted my sounder yesterday and took it for a test drive today. Works absolutely fine.

post-18882-0-23672700-1475390418_thumb.jpg

Zoomed in:

post-18882-0-33094300-1475390431_thumb.jpg

Transducer:

post-18882-0-76026200-1475390442_thumb.jpg

If you notice my transducer is not exactly parallel to the hull, its pointed slightly down, maybe 1 notch on the mount.

post-18882-0-09529800-1475390450_thumb.jpg

I went at max speed, 55kph, and was still holding bottom.

The only other thing I noticed, my transducer wire is not under mount like yours.

I did try putting it under, but the gap on the mount was not big enough, I didn't want to force it so I ran the wire outside the mount.

Dave.

Edited by The Incredible Hull

Hi mate, yours seems to sit lower then mine and there is a strake there, I thought that was a no no spot to install them? You get any help from someone in the know or just read the instructions and self installed? I went out on Sunday so I taped it down a bit lower and I still had problems. I did notice it was rooster tailing quite bad so not sure what that tells me if anything.

Ok - have you got a screenshot of whats happening- and this may be a long bow but is your motor a standard "rotation" or a "counter rotation"- seen that once before with a second hand motor bought on the cheap. Pushed all the foamy water over the trannie. I would still recommend moving your pickup to the other side- also try physically disconnecting all your accessories from power and see if the problem is wiring/interference. The height looks Ok but Id like to see a screenshot

Hey Geoff,

I used the existing mounting point of the old transducer, but yes I understand what you mean about the strake, guess its the first thing i'll look at (touchwood) if I ever have any problems.

How did you wire it? I know its pretty straight forward, just wanted to double check.

Power cable: Has yellow, red and black. I only used red and black, didn't use yellow. I had the red soldered onto the fuse cable. Then it had a bunch of data cables maybe 4 wires, I didn't use any of these. I made sure they were all taped up and not touching.

Transducer cable: a single cable.

What do you get on the screen when you switch it on at home?

Dave.

Here is a guide from Garmin about adjusting your transducer that may help.

"Test the transom-mount transducer installation in open water free of obstacles. Pay attention to your surroundings as you test the transducer.

1. 1 With the boat in the water, turn on the chartplotter.

2. 2 Drive the boat at a slow speed. If the chartplotter appears to be working properly, gradually increase speed while observing the chartplotter.

3. 3 If the sonar signal is suddenly lost or the bottom return is severely degraded, note the speed at which this occurs.

4. 4 Return the boat to the speed at which the signal was lost, and make moderate turns in both directions while observing the chartplotter.

5. 5 If the signal strength improves while turning, adjust the transducer so that it extends another 1/8 in. (3 mm) below the transom of the boat.

6. 6 Repeat steps 2–4 until the degradation is eliminated.

7. 7 If the signal does not improve, move the transducer to a

different location on the transom, and repeat the test. "