Johnson Outboard - Oil Leak

Sigma

Hello fellow Raiders,

I'm hoping that some of you fellow raiders might be able to help with an issue I have with my Outboard.

I have an 1999/2000 Model Johnson 115Hp Ocean Pro Oil injected 2 stroke Outboard.

As I really haven't any experience on outboards (always serviced by a mechanic), and the mechanics are costing me a fortune, I am hoping that I might be able to get some advice/help here so that I could do the job myself.

A couple of days ago, I decided to give my outboard a start as I haven't started her for nearly a month.

I have been upgrading my battery system to a dual battery and rewiring my whole wiring by adding a fuse box. As the main wiring has been disconnected, this is the reason why I haven't been able to start her for a while.

Anyway, to cut the long story short.....at first, once she kicked over after 3 attempts, she blew quite a bit of white smoke for about 3-4minutes.

I'm presuming this is due to not starting her for a while? Slowly, she started to smoke less and less. After running her for a good 10-15minutes,

I noticed whilst she was running that there was also water spitting out of the propeller/exhaust. I don't know if this is normal?

I then turned her off and all was good. Yesterday, i come home from work and notice that there is something black (size of a 10c coin) under the propeller itself and the fin at the bottom of the leg (2x spots).

I put my fingers thru the black stuff on the ground and it's like black sludge.

I then check the bottom fin of the leg and there is a streak of oil coming from in between the leg and the prop . It's not a bad oil leak (very minimal), but it is there and I would like to fix it before it gets worse and create a bigger problem.

It's obvious that water is mixing somewhere with oil.....possibly some sort of seal has given way or could it be that due to not starting for a while that the deposits built up and once started she blew them out?

First of all, is this normal?

Second, if I was to replace myself, is it a big job to replace a seal in this type of motor.

I'm quite good with tools and car engines, but I haven't ever touched an outboard.

Below are some pics of the outboard engine I have, and the Oil Leak

Oh, nearly forgot. There is a photo of another section above the propeller where water comes out of (don't know what this section is called), where you can also see black traces. Is this normal?

Cheers

Dave

post-32371-0-16368200-1474593482_thumb.jpgpost-32371-0-78588700-1474593525_thumb.jpg

post-32371-0-61492500-1474593506_thumb.jpg

post-32371-0-82409300-1474593533_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sigma

doesn't appear to be an oil leak to me.

looks like carbon & / or exhaust residue.

are you sure its oil?

Hi tryhard,

Unfortunately, I took the pics in the evening with an aid of the camera flash on the phone.

The bottom pic looks like residue but it's hard to see on the 3rd pic that there is black oil line along the edge of the fin running down.

It got mixed water on the ground and it was like black sludge.....so, yes, there is an oil leak. The oil is black, although it is not a big leak.

Would this be coming from the carbies or the gearbox? I'm thinking maybe carbies....could be rich on the mixture level?

Although I have never seen clean gear oil in an outboard, I wouldn't think that it's much different in colour or thickness to car gear oil?

I will try and get some better pics during the daytime and update.

Edited by Sigma

Interesting

I had a look at the photos and i see that image 4 of 4 is of the exhaust outlets above the prop. If this oil residue your talking about then this is above the gear box and can only becoming from the two stroke oil. You said that the engine started with a lot of smoke indicating a lot of oil burning in the combustion chamber. So its probable that some of the two stoke oil may not fully burn in the process and pushed down inside of the leg by exhaust gasses. In my Yamaha if it sits for awhile the fuel evaporates in the fuel system leaving two stoke oil. On start up it is little more smoky than usual. To compensate for this i start and run my motor every two or so weeks when i fit it in.

In saying that gear box shaft seal behind the prop will eventually fail like any part on your boat. Ive also heard that braid if caught around the gear box shaft seal can cause damage but i have never experienced this.

dogbox

Edited by dogbox

if it only appeared after you ran it it will be excess unburnt oil from exhaust in your propeeler ..if you didn't put it in gear the prop shaft wont have been spinning to allow oil to leak from shaft seal...if the seal was bad enough to leak you would have a puddle of honey coloured oil on the ground....fuel evapourates in your carbies but the oil remains so when you pump new fuel in your mixture could be as thick as 15 to 1...instead of fifty or 100..thus smoke thus excess crap coming out exhaust....rick

if it only appeared after you ran it it will be excess unburnt oil from exhaust in your propeeler ..if you didn't put it in gear the prop shaft wont have been spinning to allow oil to leak from shaft seal...if the seal was bad enough to leak you would have a puddle of honey coloured oil on the ground....fuel evapourates in your carbies but the oil remains so when you pump new fuel in your mixture could be as thick as 15 to 1...instead of fifty or 100..thus smoke thus excess crap coming out exhaust....rick

Thanks mate...you could be right.You sound very knowledgeable.

I did put it into gear to blow out the smoke and yes, it started only leaking after that.

You might be right on the mixture too as I notice that when I tilt the engine up, after a while there is oil slowly dripping out of the carbies.

Can you adjust the mixture and if so, how?

Also, one more question if you don't mind.

Just took off the prop and wiped all the grease on the shaft. It appears no seal is leaking and now I'm stuck on which grease to use. I have some Nulon L80 at home which is high temp grease and the tub says it can be used for marine applications. Can I use this or should I buy Marine grease that Supercheap Auto's sell?

Cheers

Dave

Edited by Sigma

Interesting

I had a look at the photos and i see that image 4 of 4 is of the exhaust outlets above the prop. If this oil residue your talking about then this is above the gear box and can only becoming from the two stroke oil. You said that the engine started with a lot of smoke indicating a lot of oil burning in the combustion chamber. So its probable that some of the two stoke oil may not fully burn in the process and pushed down inside of the leg by exhaust gasses. In my Yamaha if it sits for awhile the fuel evaporates in the fuel system leaving two stoke oil. On start up it is little more smoky than usual. To compensate for this i start and run my motor every two or so weeks when i fit it in.

In saying that gear box shaft seal behind the prop will eventually fail like any part on your boat. Ive also heard that braid if caught around the gear box shaft seal can cause damage but i have never experienced this.

dogbox

Hi dogbox,

The bottom is very light residue but the oil leak I am reffering to is in pic3.

Its hard to see as the leak comes from the join between the prop and the leg and trickles down along the edge of the fin (under the prop). I have taken the prop out and it appears the it might be residue mixed with water as black sludge was also found on the inside the leg. I think ( could be wrong) that the oil mixture is too high?

Cheers

Dave

there wont be a prob with your mixture its just a fact that oil in fuel remains when the fuel evapourates...if you take carbies off you will find brownish green residue in the fuel bowl...I have had to clean my carbies a few times...you can use many different greases for prop shaft ..any of the major brands have marine grease in their range..i use blue Valvoline grease..never had a prob ..it goes in all grease nipples on steering and motor bracket...rick

Propeller all greased up and put back on....even got to respray the prop and looks like new now. :1clap::banana:

I just hope that I didn't over tighten the nut when I put it back on. Can you over tighten the nut? :(

Thanks everyone for your help. It appear rickmarlin62 was right and it is exhaust residue...thanks rickmarlin. :icon_peace:

Next, is an attempt to change my gear oil..hopefully won't be too hard. :thumbup:

Edited by Sigma

piece of cake...remove top screw which is oil level..remove bottom screw..drain old oil..oil bottle should have tapered nozzle on it..insert tightly into bottom hole and squeeze until oil runs out of top hole..remove bottle quickly and put bottom screw in topup a little if u spill a bit then install top screw...takes bout same time to do as to read ...cheers rick

piece of cake...remove top screw which is oil level..remove bottom screw..drain old oil..oil bottle should have tapered nozzle on it..insert tightly into bottom hole and squeeze until oil runs out of top hole..remove bottle quickly and put bottom screw in topup a little if u spill a bit then install top screw...takes bout same time to do as to read ...cheers rick

Thanks rick,....you have been a great help

Just a couple of more questions if you don't mind.

I drained the oil last night (after having issues unscrewing the nut) and noticed the oil is a dark grey colour with very light swirls of black and a bluey colour.

I'm presuming the bluey colour was the colour of the oil when it was put in. Is grey a "healthy" colour....or should I worry that there is an issue?

I purchased some Valvoline marine gear oil but it didn't have a rating. All it said that it was "high pressure" gear oil.

I looked up my outboard on the Penrite site and what it should use. It recommended that I use 75-90W gear oil.

Went to a few Auto parts shops and no one stocked marine gear oil. :1wallbash:

Unfortunately, since they closed down our local Bias Boating (Warwick Farm), it's been a headache to get anything for your boat out Liverpool way. :(

Closest boat place that I know of is Whitworths which is out in the Shire. So, I headed to Supercheap and the only one they had was this Valvoline 500ml bottle.

As I had no choice, I bought 2 bottles. Is this going to be OK?

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Product/Valvoline-Outboard-Gear-Oil-500mL/134237?menuFrom=1021654

Also, anyone know where I could find the nylon washers for the drain plugs on the lower gear unit?

Tried Masters but nothing... :1wallbash::(

Edited by Sigma