Leaking water fuel separating filter...

Ojay Samson

Hi all, so I seem to be having a problem with my water separating fuel filter.
This was one of the first projects i did to my boat a few weeks ago and i noticed that when i installed it, fuel would leak from the top part of the filter where it screws into the mounting hardware. I want to know if this is common or if i got a dud.
i could tell it was fuel because the writing on the side of the filter would be eaten away, however, the residue on the side of the filter and drops appearing on the transom closest to the filter is like a runny jelly type viscosity, it also doesn't smell like fuel. What sort of witchcraft is happening?
I followed the instructional videos online from Dangar Marine on installing one to the tee and so far it was good, im just a bit concerned if i got a dud filter and need to return it to BCF or if this is a common thing?
should i empty the filter and give it a good clean and reassemble it again and see if anything leaks out a second time or should i just get a replacement?... also does anyone know how returning a used fuel filter works? it has literally been used for like 1 hour and the fact that i noticed on day 2 (test run on ear muffs on day 1) it seemed like fuel was already leaking from the top due to the blue writing eaten away from 1 droplet of fuel running down the length i have tightened them by hand to where i beleive it felt snug enough that it wont fall off but i am second guessing myself now if i did something wrong or if i got a dud/wrong filter.

Filter and fittings were put on with all the right gear (permatex thread sealant/ SS hose clamps new fuel lines etcetc).
NB the initial fuel that went through the system was of an unknown age as this fuel was what came with the boat when i bought it. Does old fuel turn to jelly???

fuel filter is an Easterner C14573P

What would people recommend be my initial action to this?

Any feedback welcomed.

pictures of filter here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3xjdnknax0bn0hf/AADy9IJKmCmWEk95xy7upT_Ha?dl=0

Yep, put a dab of 3 in 1 oil on both the rubber seal at the top and the O ring in the water bowl and coated with finger to make sure all of it had lube. I might take it apart and redo it tomorrow before I see what I can do for return. Maybe the rubber gromet at the top part shifted when screwing on.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Edited by Ojay Samson

Well the filter should not leak it looks and sounds like you have installed it correctly

I would try and unscrewing the filter check the seal on top of the filter for and small cuts or damage, then run your finger on the inside of the fuel filter housing feeling for any dirt or imperfections in the casting. Is the filter housing plastic or aluminum? I had a plastic housing once and had problems with leaks.

You need to check with the store regarding refunding products, my experience with BCF is that they will accept a faulty product in return for a store credit.

dogbox

Well the filter should not leak it looks and sounds like you have installed it correctly

I would try and unscrewing the filter check the seal on top of the filter for and small cuts or damage, then run your finger on the inside of the fuel filter housing feeling for any dirt or imperfections in the casting. Is the filter housing plastic or aluminum? I had a plastic housing once and had problems with leaks.

You need to check with the store regarding refunding products, my experience with BCF is that they will accept a faulty product in return for a store credit.

dogbox

Hi Dogbox, I did as you suggested and found no fault through the seals. when unscrewing it though i did find the top seal had 'jumped' out of where it is supposed to be seated. I am hoping that was the reason for the leak. attached is a photo of how i found the seal when i was taking the filter off... now i am not sure if that happened while taking it off or if it was like that during instal (i am hoping it jumped out during install hence the leaking and thus problem solved).

I know it sounds silly but you didn't cross the thread. ? Or did it go on nice & easy, did the 3 in 1 oil affect the washer , just basic things I would be checking, old fuel can go off, don't know about jelly like though

i gave the filter and its O-rings a clean and reinstalled it, this time paying very close attention to the top seal when screwing on (never cross threaded- threads waay to big for crossthreading to be possible i think). it screwed in like normal so here's hoping that the problem is solved.

Before reassembling i inspected the base plate for any imperfections/cuts in seals etc everything looked fine. I did however screw everything down with a bit more force than before (all by hand still).

i primed the engine again, thus filling the filter and ran the engine for a few minutes on the water muffs, everything went like normal.

before attaching the filter to the mounting plate i gave it a good wipe down to get rid of any residue from the leaks before and marked the top lip of the filter with a permanent marker to help identify if new leaks would happen after inspection.

After the engine was run on the earmuffs i inspected again and there were no new signs of leakage so i am hopeful the problem was solved. next step is to take her out for a proper blast at WOT and see if any leaks spring up again.

Pics:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/86ie63cjtikr882/AAC3is2BmvBBW1hRst2Wl_h6a?dl=0

Thanks for the advice raiders