Bait ball drop in

JonD

Hopefully my daughter will post a couple of shots from her video today:)

Headed out with four of us today for just snorkell and wildlife watch. As my eldest daughter snorkelled around some of the headlands close to Narooma bar my youngest daughter spotted gannets hammering a school of bait offshore. After calling my daughter and friend back to the boat we raced out to see what they were feeding on.

I dropped the pair about 50m from all the action so they could reach the bait without the boat scaring them down. Dolphins that had been chasing our boat joined the hunt as did several seals, diving down to around 8m my daughter discovered the fish being targeted to be pilchards. Her friend watching from the surface was amazed to see either a minke or brides whale rush behind her.

Staying with the bait several of these high speed hunting whales swam through the bait scooping up bait as they went. From the boat at times often all we could see was white water as they lunged across the surface,at times skimming past them. To say they were excited by the experience is an understemeant, this will be a day they will remember for a while and with some pretty decent video footage too.

Tomorow sbs are doing interviewing and filming the eldest (15) for her contributions in marine science, hopefully we can find a few black cod to go with their filming.

Jon

Edited by JonD

Terrific, Jon and girls. I remember snorkelling off Cronulla one day and being surrounded by a massive school of sea mullet. After a minute or so, I got to wondering what else was trailing the school and I couldn't see anything in or under the water, but wall to wall fish. The only way back to shore was to swim with my head out of the water, so that I could see where I was heading and all the time thinking, "is something going to come up and take a chunk out of the slow swimming, giant mullet?" If you think about danger, you wouldn't step out of the house, would you. :) Good on you and your daughter. Great adventures ahead.

Terrific, Jon and girls. I remember snorkelling off Cronulla one day and being surrounded by a massive school of sea mullet. After a minute or so, I got to wondering what else was trailing the school and I couldn't see anything in or under the water, but wall to wall fish. The only way back to shore was to swim with my head out of the water, so that I could see where I was heading and all the time thinking, "is something going to come up and take a chunk out of the slow swimming, giant mullet?" If you think about danger, you wouldn't step out of the house, would you. :) Good on you and your daughter. Great adventures ahead.

It's something we've done for years, recently we found a bait ball with devil rays. My daughter was about 8-9 when we hopped in with sunfish about 30k offshore, after a while of following it we could here splashing back at the boat, when we realised it was a large mako chewing on the burley pot "we had a tense swim back"!!!

Hopefully my daughter will post a couple of shots from her video today:)

Headed out with four of us today for just snorkell and wildlife watch. As my eldest daughter snorkelled around some of the headlands close to Narooma bar my youngest daughter spotted gannets hammering a school of bait offshore. After calling my daughter and friend back to the boat we raced out to see what they were feeding on.

I dropped the pair about 50m from all the action so they could reach the bait without the boat scaring them down. Dolphins that had been chasing our boat joined the hunt as did several seals, diving down to around 8m my daughter discovered the fish being targeted to be pilchards. Her friend watching from the surface was amazed to see either a minke or brides whale rush behind her.

Staying with the bait several of these high speed hunting whales swam through the bait scooping up bait as they went. From the boat at times often all we could see was white water as they lunged across the surface,at times skimming past them. To say they were excited by the experience is an understemeant, this will be a day they will remember for a while and with some pretty decent video footage too.

Tomorow sbs are doing interviewing and filming the eldest (15) for her contributions in marine science, hopefully we can find a few black cod to go with their filming.

Jon

260916_GP_7534_zpsuw1ctfoh.jpg

260916_GP_7538.jpeg_zpssvhqglvn.jpg

260916_GP_7532_zpssnxq9byx.jpg

260916_GP_7639_zpskmswkdzr.jpg

Edited by Salty Pup