Electric motor and outboard question

Guest Guest123456789

Guest Guest123456789

When using my bow mount electric motor, I want to keep the outboard in the water (not tilted out of water). Problem is when I do this the prop acts like a rudder and turns the boat as the tiller steer outboard turns itself as the boat is in motion.

Does anyone else have this issue? Is there a solution?

Reason I want to keep outboard in water is because the prop can get in the way when fighting at the stern. It's also annoying having to keep manually tilting the outboard (no power tilt and trim).

I was thinking maybe some sort of strap to fix the outboards position. Keen to hear others ideas/suggestions. Cheers.

Luke.When using my elbow mount electric motor, I want to keep the outboard in the water (not tilted out of water). Problem is when I do this the prop acts like a rudder and turns the boat as the tiller steer outboard turns itself as the boat is in motion.

Does anyone else have this issue? Is there a solution?

Reason I want to keep outboard in water is because the prop can get in the way when fighting a fish at the stern. It's also annoying having to keep manually tilting the outboard (no power tilt and trim).

I was thinking maybe some sort of strap to fix the outboards position. Keen to hear others ideas/suggestions. Cheers.

Luke.

Edited by Guest123456789

I Don't have an electric motor but your initial suggestion of a strap should work, just try and find an occy /bungee strap long enough to cater to the beam length, go around the tiller handle once and hook off on the other side of hull... If that doesn't give enough tension, try a tighter fitting occy strap...

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

I have the same set up, ie bow mount electric and tiller outboard and don't notice the problem you described. If the outboard is left down and unattended it will just swing around due to water pressure without effecting the direction of the boat. If you go to the trouble of fixing it in one position then it might have some tiller steering effect.

I'm not 100% sure I understand your problem. I have an electric motor on the bow and when I'm using it I have the Yamaha 15 in its operating position (down in the water). I have the adjustment set so that the Yamaha will not turn unless sideways force is applied to the tiller. The boat steers remarkably well, in and out of heavily timbered areas, using the electric. What type of petrol motor do you have and does it have a device which (when tightened), will prevent the motor from swinging aimlessly? I am assuming that your vessel is NOT steered from the tiller.

Guest Guest123456789

Thanks for all your responses.

I'll try again with the motor down it might be something else which caused the boat to swerve. From what others are saying that should work ok.

To confirm I have a Suzuki 30hp tiller steer. I don't think there is a setting to lock the steering but I will check.