Mounting new Transducer

will_l

Hey Guys,

I'm looking to upgrade my furuno ls4100 to a Garmin echomap chirp in either 5" or 7" but need a bit of help on changing over the transducer. I have a P66 currently mounted for the furuno so will need to take that off, leaving the screw holes. So I'm looking at which option would be better to replace it (this is on a fibreglass boat).

1) Fill all the screw wholes with 5200 FGJ620 and then mount new transducer as usual

2) Screwing in a thick piece of marine plastic (i.e king starboard) into the old screw holes and then screwing new transducer just into the board

Any other ideas would be fantastic.

Cheers,

Will

Guest Smobaby

The best solution would be to re-drill the new bracket to suit the existing hole centres you already have then sikaflex.

I had a new transducer fitted last week. Seems mine was incorrectly mounted when the boat was manufactured and it has filled with water. What is interesting is that 2 different marine electricians told me to replace the pair of E120's as they were faulty. That's was a $20,000 job. In the end the job cost $2,900 including pulling the boat out. Just shows you how you can get stung on the water.

I would fill the old transducer holes with epoxy and attach the pvc board to the transom with sikaflex and then screw the transducer to that which will eliminate any chance of water getting in causing your transom to rot.

The best solution would be to re-drill the new bracket to suit the existing hole centres you already have then sikaflex.

Thanks, that sounds like quite a good idea, only thing is the bracket currently installed is pretty wide so I hope the Garmin bracket can reach across that far.

Cheers

I would fill the old transducer holes with epoxy and attach the pvc board to the transom with sikaflex and then screw the transducer to that which will eliminate any chance of water getting in causing your transom to rot.

Another good idea, do you think the sikaflex would be strong enough to hold onto the tranducer with the drag it will cause from a little bit of it being in the water?

Cheers

I had a new transducer fitted last week. Seems mine was incorrectly mounted when the boat was manufactured and it has filled with water. What is interesting is that 2 different marine electricians told me to replace the pair of E120's as they were faulty. That's was a $20,000 job. In the end the job cost $2,900 including pulling the boat out. Just shows you how you can get stung on the water.

Extremely true. This will be the first transducer I'm mounting myself so I want to make sure i dont end up with leaking water issues.

I removed my old one on a FG boat, and then screwed and glued a white plastic

bread board that I got from a $2 shop and cut it down so that it was level and at the

same angle as the hull.

The screws for the transducer don't go all the way through the bread board, so even if I move

the transducer, no holes to worry about