Pfd's

JonD

Most of us boaties moved over to the either manual or auto inflating design rather than the bulky foam filled types. But here's the thing, often when you buy them (especially when on sale) the expiry date is often getting well into its 12 or 24 month period, infact a new boat I bought in 2014 came with pfd's sealed in plastic with the date 2011 inside. To find the date pull apart the Velcro and search for writing on the bladder.

Today we were stopped by maritime at the boat ramp after launching our boat, the boat was alongside the jetty as the maritime officer checked all our safety equipment. Two of our pfd's were out of date by one day and the others I had checked by orally inflating and weighing the co2 cylinders in November last year and wrote the date of my test inside were not acceptable. It turns out you can not test them yourself and the cost of sending them away for testing is about the same price as buying new ones.

I consider myself to be carefull about enviromental waste and the thought of just throwing away these floatations devices after 1 year or even less depending on the date inside when purchased has brought me to decide to go back to the old full foam models.

Just to add during the time it took me to drive home and collect some old foam jackets my licenced 15 year old daughter decided to move the boat from the jetty as its a busy holiday weekend with lots of boats using the jetty during launching etc. She took the boat around 40m from the launch site to wait for my return, during this time both her and her friend were both suited up in wetsuits as we were heading out for a dive. Maritime then came over to her asking for her boat licence giving her an official warning for not having life jackets in date onboard.

I returned, foam jackets put on, headed out the bar only one o be met by another maritime boat wanting to do a safety check. We often get checked by the same boat several days in a row, I personally think the tax dollar could be a little better spent.

Anyway there's my winge, at least will still got to head out unlike many people who got turned back at the ramp today.

Jon

Most of us boaties moved over to the either manual or auto inflating design rather than the bulky foam filled types. But here's the thing, often when you buy them (especially when on sale) the expiry date is often getting well into its 12 or 24 month period, infact a new boat I bought in 2014 came with pfd's sealed in plastic with the date 2011 inside. To find the date pull apart the Velcro and search for writing on the bladder.

Today we were stopped by maritime at the boat ramp after launching our boat, the boat was alongside the jetty as the maritime officer checked all our safety equipment. Two of our pfd's were out of date by one day and the others I had checked by orally inflating and weighing the co2 cylinders in November last year and wrote the date of my test inside were not acceptable. It turns out you can not test them yourself and the cost of sending them away for testing is about the same price as buying new ones.

I consider myself to be carefull about enviromental waste and the thought of just throwing away these floatations devices after 1 year or even less depending on the date inside when purchased has brought me to decide to go back to the old full foam models.

Just to add during the time it took me to drive home and collect some old foam jackets my licenced 15 year old daughter decided to move the boat from the jetty as its a busy holiday weekend with lots of boats using the jetty during launching etc. She took the boat around 40m from the launch site to wait for my return, during this time both her and her friend were both suited up in wetsuits as we were heading out for a dive. Maritime then came over to her asking for her boat licence giving her an official warning for not having life jackets in date onboard.

I returned, foam jackets put on, headed out the bar only one o be met by another maritime boat wanting to do a safety check. We often get checked by the same boat several days in a row, I personally think the tax dollar could be a little better spent.

Anyway there's my winge, at least will still got to head out unlike many people who got turned back at the ramp today.

Jon

Sounds over zealous.

That goes against this. http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/maritime/safety-rules/safety-equipment/lifejackets.html#Servicinginflatablelifejackets

I would have brought up the website while chatting.

- Expiry starts from date of purchase

- Some manufacturers allow self service

What water way was this ?

Why was she asked for license, as I imagine she was under 10knots to go the 40m.

I haven't been checked by rms yet, only water police. That was a pretty good experience - even though I was in closed waters, I asked for them to check me as if I was in open waters which they were happy to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just to add, before even putting the boat in the water another maritime officer was parked up with a trailer full of booklets in the no park zone. He gave me 7 safety bookets on all sorts from crossing bars to new safety regulations ( haven't looked at them yet!!!)

Sounds over zealous.

That goes against this. http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/maritime/safety-rules/safety-equipment/lifejackets.html#Servicinginflatablelifejackets

I would have brought up the website while chatting.

- Expiry starts from date of purchase

- Some manufacturers allow self service

What water way was this ?

Why was she asked for license, as I imagine she was under 10knots to go the 40m.

I haven't been checked by rms yet, only water police. That was a pretty good experience - even though I was in closed waters, I asked for them to check me as if I was in open waters which they were happy to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was in Narooma. The link you provided was what I went by when I serviced my own jackets, it's funny though trying to find exactly which can be serviced by yourself is hard to find. I've ordered some new foam ones this evening!!!

I got checked at the ramp too. They asked me if I had a life jacket for my 5 year old.

I said that I didn't need one and I went on to explain that I was moving my boat from one trailer

to another and we weren't actually going in the water and my boy was staying in the car.

He was quite pleasant about it too and then went to check some one else.

Boat was successfully moved.

This was at Gosford. I guess I should check out my PFD's and see when they need to be checked. For the record

I also have the bulky foam ones onboard and I have the slim foam ones too. I also see that if you are out near lion Island

and the sell is over a metre then they class that as open water. I'll go and have a look on my map and edit this if I've remembered

it incorrectly.

hi jon i just checked the rms website under there dont expire life jacket section and it says that a 12 month from from purchase self inspection is required and they even tell you how so if the fined you i personally wouldnt pay it and appeal re there website also going down your way in november if you pm me your ph no we may be able to catch up regards warnie100

I know sometimes it's a pain getting pulled up and checked , but at the end of the day it's possibly saving your or another's life. Plus we all need a friendly reminder of regulations from time to time.

Personally I carry/wear auto inflates but also have the solid foam type stashed under the squabs.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Guest Guest123456789

Hi Jon,

Thanks for sharing. Sounds like you got a power tripper who needs to feel omnipotent. Met one recently at LAX airport, made me unpack my luggage and take most of my clothes off.

I didn't know about the manufacturer service date. I opened the Velcro as you suggested and given I only bought it in July looks like it has been sitting on the shelf for 12 months.

post-36607-0-26054700-1475447781_thumb.jpg

I check the manufacturers website for servicing information.

http://www.axispfds.com.au/serviceyourinflatablepfd/

Thankfully my model the offshore Pfd 150 CAN be self serviced

http://www.axispfds.com.au/site_files/231/self_service_2015/self%20service%20manual%202.1.01.pdf

Those foam lifejackets would be a real pain to fish from.

Like the others have said I believe that the life jackets can be serviced without returning to an approved service centre. I have been checked by a very pleasant bloke from Maritime on Wallis Lake, and he even offered to check the weight of the canister for me. He had a scale on the boat.