Marine First Aid Course

mrsswordfisherman

I am able to organise a specially tailored 1st Aid course for Fishraiders.

Apart from the usual topics it will be focusing on bites, stings, hook removal, CPR in the marine environment, hypothermia and common marine injuries. Recommended items and contents of the 1st aid kit for the boat.

Anyone interested please post here.

I need about 10 people to start one. We can work out when and where easily.

Just asking for expressions of interest at this stage :) and thanks to those that have replied so far.

Come meet swordie and I. Swordie is an expert at CPR as he saved my life doing it!! I even have a trophy :)

post-869-0-90387200-1475794722_thumb.jpg

As a healthcare professional it is essential everyone knows CPR and how to use a defibrillator. They are everywhere now and gives people a chance if onlookers can use them.

Will this have a qualification that can be used as the first aid section in going towards a coxswain ticket. I've done a few first aid coarses including bronze medallion and pool lifesaver but each one seems to keep changing especially in the cpr section.

Jon

Jon, I doubt it would as they are specific for a Coxswains grade 1, a HLTAID003 is very easy to get these days.

Between you and I, to easy. A commercial provider would give you one in 5-6 hours and cost about $80- thats Sydney prices.

Years ago I did a St Johns course over 2 days and it was far better ..... but time kills me these days.

A specific Fishing one would be good to do for what I do.

I agree blackfish years ago I also did the St. John's 2 day course. Although mine ran 1 night per week so took longer.

Recently I did the 1 day course for work and it wasn't a patch on the old one. I find that with education generally now. It's about ticking boxes and has little to do with knowledge.

I'll be keeping an eye on this space and would love to come if I am able to make the time/date if it goes ahead. We have a standard 4wd first aid kit in our boat and I have basic first aid training for work but I think any chance to have it refreshed and learn even one new trick is great. We carry small bolt cutters, proper wire cutters, strong snub nose pliers and multi grips in case some poor person wears a heavy live bait, Treble, Marlin or tuna hook. You just need to make sure they get wiped and sprayed down each trip so they don't get forgotten or corroded and remain in working order for the debut they will hopefully never have. We always carry clean dry rags, towel and full set of dry clothes in case someone gets wet, cold or falls in.

Definitely put me down please Donna.... Did a First aid course about 27 years ago as part of my Apprenticeship & always been meaning to do it again especially since the kids came along...

Will this have a qualification that can be used as the first aid section in going towards a coxswain ticket. I've done a few first aid coarses including bronze medallion and pool lifesaver but each one seems to keep changing especially in the cpr section.

Jon

Yes Jon this will be the one needed - I checked with AMSA on the requirements.

The course will be the accredited HLTAID003 Provide First Aid course which covers CPR, medical & traumatic emergencies, poisons, bites & stings. The fishraider one will have focus also on marine and fishing accident things as well. The person/company delivering is an actual paramedic with years of experience and a background in education.

Jon, I doubt it would as they are specific for a Coxswains grade 1, a HLTAID003 is very easy to get these days.

Between you and I, to easy. A commercial provider would give you one in 5-6 hours and cost about $80- thats Sydney prices.

Years ago I did a St Johns course over 2 days and it was far better ..... but time kills me these days.

A specific Fishing one would be good to do for what I do.

The course has changed quite a bit since the old days. The way CPR is approached is even different and the competency asks the student to simulate the CPR for 2 mins uninterrupted on adult and infant. You also learn how to respond to defibrillator prompts etc.

There has been a bit of info removed that was repeated. It is more streamlined and of course ours will be tailored to our raider needs.

The raider course will be 6 hours and valid for 3 years.

I'll be keeping an eye on this space and would love to come if I am able to make the time/date if it goes ahead. We have a standard 4wd first aid kit in our boat and I have basic first aid training for work but I think any chance to have it refreshed and learn even one new trick is great. We carry small bolt cutters, proper wire cutters, strong snub nose pliers and multi grips in case some poor person wears a heavy live bait, Treble, Marlin or tuna hook. You just need to make sure they get wiped and sprayed down each trip so they don't get forgotten or corroded and remain in working order for the debut they will hopefully never have. We always carry clean dry rags, towel and full set of dry clothes in case someone gets wet, cold or falls in.

Good points Captain!

Infection control will be covered and don't forget your vaccinations for tetanus. A booster after 10 years if you get a penetrating wound for sure.

You sound well prepared - good work raider :)

Hey Donna. Sounds like a very well organised and valuable course. Dependent on location, time, and commitments please add my 15 year old daughter and myself to the list.

I'm in Newcastle so hoping for a weekend date.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

I need about 10 people to start one. We can work out when and where easily.

Just asking for expressions of interest at this stage :) and thanks to those that have replied so far.

Come meet swordie and I. Swordie is an expert at CPR as he saved my life doing it!! I even have a trophy :)

attachicon.gifarrest trophy.jpg

As a healthcare professional it is essential everyone knows CPR and how to use a defibrillator. They are everywhere now and gives people a chance if onlookers can use them.

This would be the most valuable lesson you could ever learn and Donna is still alive because of my training in CPR :devil: I can bring em back from the other side

I have just hit "Follow this topic" at the top of the page but have not used the function before. Do i get a PM on here or something for the notification? Or is there a better way for me to make sure i dont miss it?

Stop looking. I found the follow option in my profile.

Edited by Captain Spanner

I have just hit "Follow this topic" at the top of the page but have not used the function before. Do i get a PM on here or something for the notification? Or is there a better way for me to make sure i dont miss it?

Stop looking. I found the follow option in my profile.

Great Capt - hope you set up all the notifications.

I will be messaging all the people who expressed interest here anyway :)

I want to get our forum upgrade sorted first then look at this course. Watch this space :)