Flatheads have woken up (Updated 9.11.2016)

Chaohuang

Went for a quick afternoon flick at the local jetty, took the missus as well. She caught 2 undersized flatties and I caught one just shy of 50cm and kept it for a feed. There seem to be quite a few fish to be caught, maybe they have woken up.

PA080097.JPG

Edited by mshuangchao

Nice Flathead and one of my favorite fish to target.

P.S. where exactly were you fishing at? looks very familiar.

Thanks!

I went to two jetties along the Georges river that day and caught fish in both locations.

I prefer them just lightly cooked in a pan with nothing else (no batter or anything). Great tasting firm white flesh. Ps as with all fish, be careful not to overcook them.

Thanks for the tip mate!

Great flattie mshuangchao. Bring on the warmer weather and the flatties. What were you using?

Thanks mate, yeah I think the flatties will only be getting more and more numerous with the change of season. I was using a vibe lure.

1. Dust in plain flour seasoned with salt and pepper then shallow fry until just cooked. I like rice bran oil to cook them in.

2. Add some turmeric to the flour and proceed as above.

3. Add some Moroccan spice mix to the flour (about 1/4 of the total) and proceed as above.

4. Flour as above, dip in beaten eggs then panko breadcrumbs and shallow fry.

Aoli or sweet chilli sauce mixed with lemon or lime juice make great accompaniments to any of these.

1. Dust in plain flour seasoned with salt and pepper then shallow fry until just cooked. I like rice bran oil to cook them in.

2. Add some turmeric to the flour and proceed as above.

3. Add some Moroccan spice mix to the flour (about 1/4 of the total) and proceed as above.

4. Flour as above, dip in beaten eggs then panko breadcrumbs and shallow fry.

Aoli or sweet chilli sauce mixed with lemon or lime juice make great accompaniments to any of these.

Wow, many thanks chef!

If anyone lives near a lagoon (like Terrigal, Wamberal or Avoca) nows the time =)

They warm up much quicker than the big open waterways and the flattys are a plenty around this time of year.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...
On 14/10/2016 at 7:22 PM, Adsy91 said:

If anyone lives near a lagoon (like Terrigal, Wamberal or Avoca) nows the time =)

They warm up much quicker than the big open waterways and the flattys are a plenty around this time of year.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I used to fish these lagoons alot, But never caught many flathead 40cm

What size have you been getting them?

8 hours ago, sam bros said:

I used to fish these lagoons alot, But never caught many flathead 40cm

What size have you been getting them?

Pretty much none under the 40cm mark, most are between 60 and 80cm...

I know of a few people who have really put an effort into restoring the fishability of these lagoons....a lot of big healthy breeding flathead have been caught on the beach and released in these lagoons....try the surface lures for whiting and you wouod be surprised how angry it makes the big girls.