Still flooded

big Neil

We haven't had any heavy rain for a few weeks now and have even had a bit of sunshine. I decided to have a look at one of my usual boat ramps and was very surprised to see the water level (still) right up at the top of the boat ramp. The normal level is about 13 metres down the ramp. The first 2 photos show the current level at the ramp and the weir, the 2nd two show what the normal level is usually. Only 6 weeks till Cod opening and I'm still unsure whether the river will be fishable.......Time will tell. post-20708-0-06395500-1476340498_thumb.jpgpost-20708-0-86099900-1476340541_thumb.jpgpost-20708-0-22690800-1476341140_thumb.jpgpost-20708-0-03902800-1476341171_thumb.jpg

Sure is pretty wet out there Neil. Hope when the water level drops the fish will be hungry! Nice little rig you have there, looks just about perfect for the local rivers. Fishing has been pretty hit and miss here on the south coast. Water has been a bit green and full of algae, with the snapper here one done and gone the next. Kingies haven't come on yet but shouldn't be too far away, I hope......

Cheers Dave

Thanks guys. I am very optimistic that the Cod will have had a very good breeding season because of the additional flooded low areas. Normally at this time I'd be targeting Yellowbelly. There's stacks of available food in the river and creeks so everything (fish, yabbies and shrimps) should be very fit and raring to go come Dec 1st. Can't wait. Still hoping to get to the coast before then to do a bit of estuary fishing and (hopefully) a trip offshore for my first Kingfish. Fingers crossed. Big Neil.

So Neil, looking at the photos you must have put the boat in and cruised around a bit. Couldn’t resist? Wanted to see if the boat still knew how to swim? LOL.

Has the river level stabilised yet or is it still rising? With the amount of water across the state it may be around for some time yet. At least it will give the system a good flush, and hopefully provide a good breeding habitat. Filling the reservoirs has to be a good thing for the irrigation farmers as well as giving plenty of river flows over the coming couple of cod seasons. Got to feel sorry for the farmers who had decent crops for the first time in years, only to have them flooded. Farming is a tough game.

So Neil, looking at the photos you must have put the boat in and cruised around a bit. Couldn’t resist? Wanted to see if the boat still knew how to swim? LOL.

Has the river level stabilised yet or is it still rising? With the amount of water across the state it may be around for some time yet. At least it will give the system a good flush, and hopefully provide a good breeding habitat. Filling the reservoirs has to be a good thing for the irrigation farmers as well as giving plenty of river flows over the coming couple of cod seasons. Got to feel sorry for the farmers who had decent crops for the first time in years, only to have them flooded. Farming is a tough game.

Sure is a tough, helter skelter life for farmers. They have to be among the most optimistic workforce out there. The river and surrounding flood waters are starting to subside as we speak. How quickly they go down is a matter of conjecture. As long as I can get on the water on Dec 1st, I'll be a happy man. Look out Cod. As you say , I think the floods will be of benefit down the track. I'll be keeping tabs on it anyway. Cheers, Neil