Bardi grubs

gordo86

Hi all

Tried searching bardi grubs here on fish raider and on the net and realised that there isn't a real lot of info on this great bait so thought maybe we could get some information on here on how people get them where they are found any tips on storing and such.

Being new to getting them myself i have haven't got much to share other then a method of storage to keep alive. That being about 7 inches of polly pipe with one end taped off packed tightly with saw dust with enough room to put grub in head first cover grub with saw dust and tape other end up and put in fridge (some still die doing this). This is how some old fisho's taught my dad. Possibly room for improvement maybe some air holes in pipe and maybe in a dark cool area instead of fridge. Haven't tried any of these ideas because i haven't had the chance to go looking for them yet and so haven't had the grubs to experiment

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

What are bardi grubs??? And what do you use them to target???

Cheers scratchie!!!

Otherwise known as Witchetty Grubs , Excellent bait on trout & most fresh water fish....

That's a Crack Up Scratchie ...What I don't Understand is If they say Everything taste like Chicken "Why don't they just Have Chicken Instead" ???...LOL...Easier to get isn't it ????

Hi all

Tried searching bardi grubs here on fish raider and on the net and realised that there isn't a real lot of info on this great bait so thought maybe we could get some information on here on how people get them where they are found any tips on storing and such.

Being new to getting them myself i have haven't got much to share other then a method of storage to keep alive. That being about 7 inches of polly pipe with one end taped off packed tightly with saw dust with enough room to put grub in head first cover grub with saw dust and tape other end up and put in fridge (some still die doing this). This is how some old fisho's taught my dad. Possibly room for improvement maybe some air holes in pipe and maybe in a dark cool area instead of fridge. Haven't tried any of these ideas because i haven't had the chance to go looking for them yet and so haven't had the grubs to experiment

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

My old neighbour used to put them in old coffee tins filled with saw dust & he would make air holes in either end by just using a hammer & nail to puncture holes in the ends & then he would then wrap the tins up in a moist potato sack & bury them in his garden bed in a couple of inches of soil . He swore that they would last for months this way......

My old neighbour used to put them in old coffee tins filled with saw dust & he would make air holes in either end by just using a hammer & nail to puncture holes in the ends & then he would then wrap the tins up in a moist potato sack & bury them in his garden bed in a couple of inches of soil . He swore that they would last for months this way......

That method replicates the environment in which Bardi grubs live. Scratchie they are a great bait for Murray Cod but harder to get than shrimps and yabbies, so most people don't bother with them. They live at the end of a hole and you can use a length of wire, spiralled at the end, to wrestle them from their hole. There is a technique which I've used on Cod of making "cheese sticks" look like Bardi Grubs. That works too. All that said, a hungry Cod will eat pretty near anything.