Mako suprise

Stu-SP

Hi all,

Went out from the hacking this morning to chase some kings as it was national gone fishing day. Tried for some squid with no luck, so headed out to the bait grounds. Got a mixture of slimey mackerel and yakkas, about 10 in total. I landed a barracouta on a micro jig (sorry no photo) and it was quickly released. We headed south in search of some kings, dropped over two livies and started flicking plastics. The drag goes off on my mates setup, hooks up then nothing after 5 seconds. Reels in and his leader had been cut, we assumed reefed. But then my rod loads up! I first thought I had caught Australia as it was a solid weight without any kicks or taps. But then I feel this thing go. I'm thinking great a really solid king (I'm yet to catch anything substantial to test out my heavy set up) after fighting it for a few minutes we see it is a shark! We then start filming on the go pro and what happened next was mental!! It jumped only about 10m from the boat and we are only in a 4.6m coast runner. We could have kept it, but with little knowledge and a full day fishing planned we cut the leader to let it live. Tried a few other spots for no luck but we were content with what we witnessed and we were buzzing all day. I'll add the link as I don't have the footage, it was a mates GoPro. Sorry about some of the colourful language.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=owSRL4zE7Lc

Cheers

Thanks guys. Yes it was my first mako, I was a little worried when it lept from the water! We weren't far out and only in about 20metres of water. Definitely a PB for me and the boat, we were calling it about 6ft?

It was caught on a Daiwa Saltist Nero 6500 with 50lb braid and a Fin-nor 0ffshore 601TL jig 50lb spin rod. Only 40lb leader so I was surprised to stay attached!

If you decide to keep one in the future make sure its tired out and not green before you bring it close to the boat.. Cousin went to early with a 2 mtr one on his 6 mtr fibreglass cuddy and it leapt and joined him on board. All he could do for the next 2 hrs as he sat on the cuddy cabin roof, was go through a packet of smokes and watch it eat his fibreglass gunnel storage compartments, before it settled down enough to be dispatched. He can still remember it's mocking grin!

Thanks guys. Yes it was my first mako, I was a little worried when it lept from the water! We weren't far out and only in about 20metres of water. Definitely a PB for me and the boat, we were calling it about 6ft?

It was caught on a Daiwa Saltist Nero 6500 with 50lb braid and a Fin-nor 0ffshore 601TL jig 50lb spin rod. Only 40lb leader so I was surprised to stay attached!

Well done Stu. Your gear certainly held up okay. Thanks for sharing your experience. Cheers.

I've heard stories of makos doing damage to boats once onboard! I'd assume best bet would be to tail rope it and drown it? But I don't know. I've eaten shark before but not mako and I know they have ammonia in their flesh. It was fun to catch but without know how to dispatch of it, best to let it live.

Not sure if they are normally found in close? We were shocked that it was a mako!!

The setup did the job nicely, now for that elusive big king!!

Cheers for the comments, luck played a big part. Right place, right time.

If you decide to keep one in the future make sure its tired out and not green before you bring it close to the boat.. Cousin went to early with a 2 mtr one on his 6 mtr fibreglass cuddy and it leapt and joined him on board. All he could do for the next 2 hrs as he sat on the cuddy cabin roof, was go through a packet of smokes and watch it eat his fibreglass gunnel storage compartments, before it settled down enough to be dispatched. He can still remember it's mocking grin!

Sound advice there!

Makos can sure perform. I was out in a 25ft launch at the Peak a couple of years back, jigging for kingfish. Saw a splash about 10m away and then suddenly a monster mako launch out of the water about 3m high, cartwheel and splash back in landing on its side. This shark would have been around 4m in length and I imagined if it landed onto a 5m tinnie - all over. Yes, play them out if they are lively and jumping :)

I had a Uni student stay with us studying sharks. One mako bit our prop, gearbox casing, mid section and even tail slapped the cowling of my 10 month old 90 Suzuki. Being black plastic the teeth went down to the white, even the paint on the cowling was back to the white.

The plan was to get in with the shark but the speed it appeared and disappeared around the boat made it very difficult to keep an eye on. I've also caught plenty of mako's that did nothing but lead to the boat, while others have gone mental.

I've seen a mako inside Botany Bay and one of my kids school teachers was chased onto the rocks on our local headland.

Jon

I've also caught plenty of mako's that did nothing but lead to the boat, while others have gone mental

That's what happened to us today Jon , We hooked 2 Mako's one after another & both were led to the boat without any issues what so ever . The 1st one after it bight threw the line just hang around while we feed it pilchards & as soon as the other rod wen't off it disappeared with all the commotion that was going on & the second one came in pretty much the same way We had thoughts about Gaffing it but just watching it swim peacefully around the boat the call was made to cut the line & release it , Both were around the 1.5 meter mark . A few months back while fishing with AMKR we both hooked a baby Mako & this thing went NUTS !!!

Have seen a few smaller makos around the 5 or 6 foot mark swim up beside the boat in the same area you were fishing, close enough to nearly pat on the back.

A word of warning though - you do not want an angry mako in your boat, they can be very aggressive and snappy as others have stated.