Tried Trout Fishing

GordoRetired

Decided to head down to Jindabyne and try to catch a Trout. Never tried it before so now I'm retired decided to give it a go.

1st day was a disaster, the wind blew, it rained, weather was so bad that I ended up sitting in the car watching the rod sitting on the rod holder.

2nd day was better, lighter winds and no rain. Picked a nice sheltered spot and cast out with the recommended bait combo, a worm and Power Bait. After a couple of hours scored my first fish... A very small Rainbow at around 20 cm but at least it was a trout.
Wind changed direction so moved to another spot after lunch, dropped a fish on the way in, then hooked a 25cm Brown. Not too bad a day.

Then headed to Kangaroo Island for the weekend, on the Saturday 4 off us on a boat bagged out of King George Whiting, along with more small Salmon that I could count and a bunch of Tommy Rough thrown in. Unfortunately the weather hit us on Sunday so it was a day watching Bathurst with no fishing.

Then headed back towards Jindabyne. Stopped off at O'Hares dam for the afternoon where I managed to spin up a 30+cm Brown on a Tassie Devil lure.

Following day started with a dawn fish at O'Hares, nothing, then a couple of hours at Lake Eucumbene, nothing, then finished the day on Jindabyne for nothing. Overall not a good day.

Then spent the day fishing Jindabyne, shocking day with not a single bite.

As the previous day had been so bad decided to try fishing the sun rise, up at 5.00am and drove to the lake with the car telling me that it was -3... It was COLD. Later in the afternoon hooked another small Brown.

Final morning thought that the dawn bite could not be off 2 days in a row so up again early. warmer morning at 0 degrees but still no cooperation from the fish.

So after 6 day chasing trout I ended up catching 4. According to one of the local guides based on the reports he had been getting over the week I actually did not do too badly...Personally Not convinced.

Problem is that now I am hooked, the whole trout fishing experience is so different from salt water off Sydney. It's peaceful, guess that the fish do not bother you too much.. :-) And the tackle is so light, with a size 6 hook considered Big.

post-38603-0-30342700-1476684388_thumb.jpgpost-38603-0-96917600-1476684427_thumb.jpgpost-38603-0-87594700-1476684502_thumb.jpgpost-38603-0-21209600-1476684548_thumb.jpgpost-38603-0-26142200-1476684608_thumb.jpg

Edited by GordoRetired

Great report Gordo! Aghhhh, the advantages of being retired! What a great way to spend the week! Time to plan your next trip ay!

Cheers scratchie!!!

She who must be obeyed has already asked when I am going next. THink I may take the boat down next time, get out trolling.

your fish pic labeled rainbow is actually a brook trout quite a good capture

Thanks Dirvin.

Good stuff nice to a few fish to hand! Try spinning the rivers next time now seasons open a lot of fun the Theedbi has great trails and easy access from Kossie Road bridge to Paddys Cornwr and then the trails from the ski tube bridge.

That is part of the next plan, after all of the rain the rivers were running very hard, I had hopped to have a go at Murry Cod on the way back from Kangaroo Island but everyone that I spoke to told me that it would be a waste of time. I guess that when you are driving through flooded roads the rivers are all going to be way up. :-)

Thanks for the other words of encouragement guys. :thumbup:

There's a nice spot for beginner trout fishos 1.5 hours west of Jindabyne. Khancoban pondage, they used to have trout fest in November but I haven't been back there since my father passed away. Might start the family tradition of fishvember back up again with the 3 year old [emoji38]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nice work. Those King George Whiting taste good!!

My personal favorite for many years has been fresh caught Flathead rolled in flour and panfried, after that trip Whiting have taken over. We filleted them, rolled them in egg and breadcrumbs then panfried Absolutly Fantastic. :thumbup:

My personal favorite for many years has been fresh caught Flathead rolled in flour and panfried, after that trip Whiting have taken over. We filleted them, rolled them in egg and breadcrumbs then panfried Absolutly Fantastic. :thumbup:

Am heading down to Kangaroo Island in a couple of weeks - first time for me. Am encouraged by your catch of KG whiting! I notice you said were in a boat - did you hire that or bring your own? Any tips on places to fish - we are staying at Vivonne Bay I think, but there for a week with a car so plenty of time to look around other places. Also thinking of doing a charter for the blue water fish.

Any info welcome - thanks.

Phil

Am heading down to Kangaroo Island in a couple of weeks - first time for me. Am encouraged by your catch of KG whiting! I notice you said were in a boat - did you hire that or bring your own? Any tips on places to fish - we are staying at Vivonne Bay I think, but there for a week with a car so plenty of time to look around other places. Also thinking of doing a charter for the blue water fish.

Any info welcome - thanks.

Phil

I was luck enough to be staying with a Mate on the island who has a boat. We fished out from Brown Beach and in the inlet of American River. He did say that the beach fishing there is not so good. Apparently there are some huge Snapper to be caught and Tuna if you get out a bit. Unfortunatly while we were there the wind was blowing and we only fished in close for 1 day, it was just so bad the second day that we were not able to get out.

Good luck.

On 20 October 2016 at 9:47 PM, GordoRetired said:

I was luck enough to be staying with a Mate on the island who has a boat. We fished out from Brown Beach and in the inlet of American River. He did say that the beach fishing there is not so good. Apparently there are some huge Snapper to be caught and Tuna if you get out a bit. Unfortunatly while we were there the wind was blowing and we only fished in close for 1 day, it was just so bad the second day that we were not able to get out.

Good luck.

Gordo - yeah the wind is always a lottery with fishing.  Thanks for the response - will post a report if I do any good. Cheers

Phil