Why does my line look like this?

Mike89

f72bc027baebe6ac8d050598382b5cc5.jpg

Recently spooled up a light setup with 8lb PowerPro and have found it to be all coiled up around on itself.

We were pretty careful to spool it up the correct way.

Is there a way to remedy this or will it iron itself out over time?

Cheers!

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Cheers. I might run it all out and wind it back on and see how much of the twist will come out.

It's PowerPro. I think we must have done something when we spooled it on, but could also be the line quality. I have some 8 strand stuff in the same strength and never had any issues with it. I also had 300m of the standard PowerPro in 15lb put on a 4000 reel at the store, no issues there. Could be that the lighter stuff is more prone to coil?

you need to wind the line off onto your spool either clockwise or anti clockwise so it matches the rotation of your spool..if you wind it on with spool spinning you are putting a twist into your line..same applies when fighting fish for extended periods as line comes off straight under drag then gets twisted back on by rotation of reel rotor...rick

Thanks for the help. Had a look again last night and the line is really twisted. I must have spooled it the wrong way or put twists in it somehow.

Pulled a lot of twist out by holding the line firm in my fingers as I rewound it but there is still some twist there. I think it will take a couple more goes!

Guest Guest123456789

I had this problem once, had to let the whole line out in current and let it unwind itself. The only way I know you can twist the line when spooling is if your drag isn't tight enough or you wind it on an angle.

I think I figured out what the issue was: when we were spooling the reel I didn't have the drag on tight at all. Any time there was tension the drag would click. That must have done it.

I tried letting it all out under the harbour bridge last night after the ferries had stopped. Seemed to be working out the twist pretty well but unfortunately had my line torn to pieces when a speedboat suddenly appeared 50m from the wharf I cast off. Bugger! Won't try that again.

Thanks for the help guys!