Strange day

GordoRetired

I have been keeping an eye on the weather and decided that today was going to be the best day this week. The initial plan was to head out to the Peak and try jigging for some Kingies. Well I hit the water around 7.00am and headed out through the heads, got about a mile out and felt that it was going to be pretty lumpy out on the Peak. Plan B.

Headed to the Colours just off north Head, fished for an hour.....nothing.

Then headed to Murphs, fished for another hour....nothing...

Decided to try the Foul Grounds. Dropped a bait and it was on, for the next hour and a half as soon as a bait hit the bottom it was getting taken, Big Sargent Baker, Snapper, Morwong, Perch, Wrass and Trevally. I was fishing 2 rods on my own and as soon as I had one in the other was going off. A lot of the fish were throwbacks, but I did get 2 nice Snapper, 1 good Perch, a decent Trev and 1 big Morwong. So ended up with a good feed.

Then as quickly as it had started the bite shutdown. Maybe it was that the tide changed, the bite was around low tide, but it stopped like someone threw a switch.

So finally headed to my favourite Flathead drift off Manly, 2 hours later I had thrown back 4 or 5 undersize fish and had nothing to keep, time to heads home..

All in all it was a nice day out and the fish feast tonight was wonderful, Trevally sashimi and baked Snapper, Perch and Morwong.... :-)Fish.JPG

9 hours ago, papafish said:

top day mate! can't complaint! when the fish kicks in! your hands will be full haha. how often do you go out^^?

Like most of us, not as often as I would like... :-)

Over the winter I have probably averaged a trip out on the boat every other week, but I also fish for an hour or 2 down under the Roseville Bridge 2 or 3 times a week. As we move into summer and the weather improves I hope to get the boat in at least weekly.

1 hour ago, Blackfish said:

The Pearl perch is certainly not a common catch  off Sydney to.

Good effort Gordo.

Thanks Blackfish, I figured it was a Perch but was not too sure if it was a Pearl Perch. Your comment confirms it. Have to say it is the first time I have caught one of these off Sydney.

12 hours ago, GordoRetired said:

Like most of us, not as often as I would like... :-)

Over the winter I have probably averaged a trip out on the boat every other week, but I also fish for an hour or 2 down under the Roseville Bridge 2 or 3 times a week. As we move into summer and the weather improves I hope to get the boat in at least weekly.

Same here, love fishing, due to busy work schedule my mate and his boat haven't been out lately, any chances for tagging along in the future:) happy to chip in for fuel and get lunch haha

2 hours ago, papafish said:

Same here, love fishing, due to busy work schedule my mate and his boat haven't been out lately, any chances for tagging along in the future:) happy to chip in for fuel and get lunch haha

It sure is a bugger when work gets in the way of fishing.... That's one of the things I like about retirement. :-)