KAYAK Fishing

KingieRun

Hi all,

Just a quickie, I am quite new to the forums and have been willing to seek some knowledge from others. I was wondering whereabouts would be a great spot to start kayak fishing. I have currently got a couple of Yaks but yet to catch fish in any. I have been out a few times in Middle Harbour and Pittwater but I was unable to catch anything not even a single bite! I have a Garmin fishfinder but I am struggling to see anything. Could I please have any tips / recommendations on where to fish and how to fish the area.   - Cheers, Kingierun

Hold off for a few weeks and keep an eye on Sydney harbour. Over the next month we should start seeing bigger schools of pelagics. Silver Halco twisty 5 or 10 gram on bream gear is a fun way of chasing them. They can get a little fixated on the small bait fish they are eating so it sometimes takes a lot of casts. Last season I did pretty well on 3 inch berkley powerbait minnows with a TT bullet jig head either 1/6 or 1/4 with 1H hook and a really aggressive darting motion followed by a pause. The heavy jighead kept the lure moving which helps with fish that like to chase.

The feedback I am getting from people whose fishing opinion I respect is that the harbour hasn't really started firing. Not to say you can't get some really good sessions if you keep an eye out for feeding birds but still having to work a bit harder for the fish. in the past we have had sessions on kayaks where we have been fishing a school of feeding fish for a few hours. They don't seem to sound when the kayak comes close which they might do with powerboats.

Kings will start to be more prevalent soon as well. I have not been to Pittwater but all the usual haunts in the harbour will hold fish at times. Just a matter of finding them. Fresh squid and live slimy macks are usually the best baits.