DIY live bait tank 4.3 metre tinny

Guest Guest123456789

Guest Guest123456789

Hi Raiders,

Thiught I would contribute to the DIY live bait tank info currently on the site. Here is my guide to a DIY live bait tank for a Stacer Rampage or similar. It's also strong enough to use as a casting platform.

TOOLS NEEDED

hammer drill

phillips and flathead screwdrivers

MATERIALS NEEDED

water scoop for Rule bilge pump

360GPH bilge pump

4 small screws to fit pump to scoop

sikaflex

2 long screws,washers and nuts to fit scoop to transom

20mm rubber hose that won't kink or be quickly destroyed in marine environment. 3 or 4 metres.

stainless steel hose clamps x 7

ball valve for 20mm hose

5 x 20 to 15mm male to male joiners

1 x 15 to 20mm elbow joiner

1 x brass 15 to 15mm one way flow T head stop cock

3x 20mm philmac tank outlet

1 x Waeco cool ice 33litre (measure height clearance floor to tiller steer, mine fit by 2mm!). Actually measure everything first before buying, you might need to downscale to a 25 litre OR reposition your whole outboard.

adhesive rubber for lid to make non slip. Clark rubber.

12 volt cigarette lighter (male and female fitting). O rings to connect to battery. Jaycar electronics. To connect pump to battery.

Check out the pics below, should be pretty self explanatory but let me know if any questions.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Good on you,thanks for sharing.Hopefully it serves you well turning those live baits into nice fish.I for one enjoy reading what others have done to their boats making them more fishable.Only thing you may want to see if mods can move your post into the workshop to make it easier to find in future.

Cheers.Fabian.

• 1 month later...
Guest Guest123456789

Update. Used this tank many times now.

Darkness in a tank is a major advantage. With only 25 litres of constantly refreshed water I've kept 2 x 35cm tailor and 10 yakkas alive all day! With the lid shut and the lights out the fish fall asleep! Very easy to pick up a sleeping fish, no net required and I'm guessing they consume a lot less oxygen also. Also means they stay alive for a long time when live baited. So if you have a  live bait tank with a window consider covering it up.

One way flow valve. I've learnt you must ensure this remains reasonably level or it won't work. Ive anchored it with a rope and it works a treat.

Edited by Guest123456789
Typo

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest123456789

Set a new record - 15 yakkas and two legal tailor!!!! Kept them all alive for 6 hours!! It did start to empty though as the day progressed. Crazy for only 25 litres of water. Looked like there were as many fish as water at one point.

nice one mate, ive realised over the years you dont need much water as long as its replaced continually its amazing how little you can use, to give the tank a real test see how many squid (calamari in particular) you can keep alive? ive found theyre much harder to keep going than the old yakka.

Guest Guest123456789
5 hours ago, Hooked-Up said:

Just enough to cover theyre backs and theyre fine (with refreshed water)

IMG_1787.PNG

Is it ok if they have a lot of water? My outlets are not adjustable.

• 2 months later...
Guest Guest123456789

Well I can report one problem I've encountered that had to be fixed. Cigarette lighter sockets male and female both corroded and failed in the saltwater environment. 

The solution I came up with was to use the spare waterproof 12v adapter that came with my ctek charger. I had to cut of the two male connectors and one female connector from the charger and just connect the wires directly. The photos explain it below but essentially now the live bait connectors are waterproof and to turn on and off is just a matter of connecting the male and female sockets.

IMG_1644.JPG

IMG_1646.JPG