Handy lists for boating safety RMS

mrsswordfisherman

13 hours ago, Sigma said:

Has anything on these charts changed in the last 12months?

Why do you ask Sigma?

Not really sure about the answer but the RMS sent them to me just recently to share with our community. There is a number there 13 12 36 if you want to check with someone.

Let us know what you find out ;)

As I didn't see last years, I was wondering if it had changed due to one of the requirements it shows on the list(s).

The requirement is under "MAPS/CHARTS".

The reason I asked was due to what happened to me during a fishing session. Earlier this year, my mate and I went for a fish around the artificial reefs at South Head. We usually see the big Maritime boat checking boats in the area and most times they miss us (don't know why...lucky?)  Anyway, this time we weren't so lucky. We watched them going to about 10 boats before our turn. Each boat they went to, they spent a few minutes, and the next thing you know, the boat they would come up to would start packing and heading back inside the bay. Well, we always assumed that they were doing safety checks and the boats we saw packing didn't comply with the safety regulations. Eventually, they rocked up and introduced themselves. There was a Maritime officer and a Police officer. Police officer asked who the skipper was and I told him it was me. I then did the breath test (I don't drink), they checked all the licences and rego.....all good.

Then, we started going through the safety. I knew in the back of my head that I had everything....well, I thought I did. After going through it all, just before they were going to leave, the Maritime officer said that there was one more thing. he asked....do I have a map of where I am fishing. I told him that I had a chartplotter and he said "No, no.....you must have both". I thought...are you serious. I'm just outside the heads. He then said that he would note it down on his computer and that it was only a warning at this stage.

Well, when I read those pamphlets, it says under "Maps".....paper OR electronic.

This is why I asked. Either he didn't know what he was talking about OR the rule has now changed?

Does anyone know what the the REAL rule is...or was he just being a......(not going to use that word) :-rolleyes

12 minutes ago, Sigma said:

As I didn't see last years, I was wondering if it had changed due to one of the requirements it shows on the list(s).

The reason I asked was due to what happened to me during a fishing session. Earlier this year, my mate and I went for a fish around the artificial reefs at South Head. We usually see the big Maritime boat checking boats in the area and most times they miss us (don't know why...lucky?)  Anyway, this time we weren't so lucky. We watched them going to about 1.....

Thanks for sharing Donna! Boating safety is a much welcomed discussion topic!

Hmm Sigma, I would say it might of been that particular officers interpretation of the requirements rather than the exact RMS definition...

A chart plotter is defined in multiple online sources as: "A device used in marine navigation that integrates GPS data with an electronic navigational chart (ENC)" which IMHO clearly identifies it as a form of electronic map.

Also, For those of us who don't have a GPS combo, the RMS have maps on their site to download or order in waterproof paper here: http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/maritime/using-waterways/maps/boating-maps.html

Edited by night_rider

40 minutes ago, night_rider said:

Thanks for sharing Donna! Boating safety is a much welcomed discussion topic!

Hmm Sigma, I would say it might of been that particular officers interpretation of the requirements rather than the exact RMS definition...

A chart plotter is defined in multiple online sources as: "A device used in marine navigation that integrates GPS data with an electronic navigational chart (ENC)" which IMHO clearly identifies it as a form of electronic map.

Also, For those of us who don't have a GPS combo, the RMS have maps on their site to download or order in waterproof paper here: http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/maritime/using-waterways/maps/boating-maps.html

Thank you very much for this information and your help. 

It is good that there is more monitoring these days. All raiders should be compliant with boating safety at all times. 

Fishraider has a very good contact within RMS if anyone would like his details please message me. 

Thanks guys.....thanks for the clarification night_rider.

I try always to be safety conscious all the time and I like to make sure that I am prepared when I go out.

It kind of was a boot in the guts when you get told that you are getting a warning but you know that you haven't done anything wrong.....

Edited by Sigma

2 hours ago, Sigma said:

The reason I asked was due to what happened to me during a fishing session. Earlier this year, my mate and I went for a fish around the artificial reefs at South Head. We usually see the big Maritime boat checking boats in the area and most times they miss us (don't know why...lucky?)  Anyway, this time we weren't so lucky. We watched them going to about 10 boats before our turn. Each boat they went to, they spent a few minutes, and the next thing you know, the boat they would come up to would start packing and heading back inside the bay. Well, we always assumed that they were doing safety checks and the boats we saw packing didn't comply with the safety regulations. Eventually, they rocked up and introduced themselves. There was a Maritime officer and a Police officer. Police officer asked who the skipper was and I told him it was me. I then did the breath test (I don't drink), they checked all the licences and rego.....all good.

Then, we started going through the safety. I knew in the back of my head that I had everything....well, I thought I did. After going through it all, just before they were going to leave, the Maritime officer said that there was one more thing. he asked....do I have a map of where I am fishing. I told him that I had a chartplotter and he said "No, no.....you must have both". I thought...are you serious. I'm just outside the heads. He then said that he would note it down on his computer and that it was only a warning at this stage.

Well, when I read those pamphlets, it says under "Maps".....paper OR electronic.

This is why I asked. Either he didn't know what he was talking about OR the rule has now changed?

Does anyone know what the the REAL rule is...or was he just being a......(not going to use that word) :-rolleyes

It only changed in July (if you open the NSW boating handbook pdf and search for july, you'll see the change.

7 hours ago, Raymondo said:

All electronic devices need a redundancy in case of failure, eg   flat battery. Paper charts , magnetic compass , whistle etc . It's something my local VMR check for . Nice guys yet firm and thorough. 

Spoken like an IT professional @Raymondo heh heh

You are right though however it does say OR

Carry both I reckon - pretty easy to grab those paper waterproof ones.

My understanding of the whole charts things is a GPS combo is not a electronic version or the charts, i think what they are referring to is a actual electronic version of the chart for the area your in stored on a device for example on your phone, i believe the reasoning behind this is so if your GPS failed you would have a way of being able to find your way home. The electronic part of the rule is only new from what i can remember prior to that it was always a requirement to carry actual copies of the chart for the area your in while in open waters, dont know why people are surprised by this rule, its part of your licence........ my GPS/sounder actually says that it is not to be used as the only form of chart when you power it up,