port stephens

rickmarlin62

Hey rick,

Sorry mate, not a lot to report at this stage. Miss my pub session with the boys last night so intel not there. 

I would definately give the the sisters and cod rock a go for snapper late arvo and maybe north rock for a kingy! 

Let us know how you go!

Cheers scratchie!!! 

It was a bit lumpy out there yesterday, so hope the swell settles down for you.

I had a late start (not uncommon) although I was up at 4, planning to hit the water at first light. Shoal Bay ramp is about 800m away but I headed for Soldiers Point as it's easier for a solo retrieve. Got there about 5. I usually take the bung right out after fishing in case it falls out or gets pinched and I put it in the boat's glovebox. Guess what wasn't there when I got to the ramp?! ?? So, I came home, had a second breakfast and headed out to the boat dealer which opens at 8. Bought 2 new bungs (one now stays in the car's glovebox as a spare) and left the ramp about 8:30. Headed to Mrs Murphy's but the yakkas and slimies weren't cooperating, so trolled along the rocks to Fingal hoping for a bonito or a kingie. The Maritime Park Authority came over for a look and we waved at each other.

I headed out to 45m to try a flathead drift but I started feeling a tad seedy in the swell so headed for the islands. Trolled my favourite X-Rap (ghost) on one line and a Xmas tree on the other line around Boondelbah Is. and had an absolutely screaming run on the X-rap as I rounded the northwest corner. Pulled in the Xmas tree and proceeded to play the fish on the 6kg outfit. 10 minutes in and I had colour - an absolute horse of a bonito! I was using a pre made wind on leader and was just getting reader to trace it, when the leader pulled out of the Dacron! Damn! ??

I rerigged, minus the X-Rap but with one of those redheaded white minnows and got a standard size bonnie on the next pass.

it was getting a bit uncomfortable for me out there in what was a washing machine so headed back inside. Picked up a keeper flathead on the drift near Yacaaba but had no luck further up the Port. I had a good run at one of Scratchie's markers but it felt like a ray and eventually busted off. ? Back to the ramp at 4. A long day for not much but at least I was out on the water, I guess! My son's driven down to Sydney for the day with the missus and the mother-in-law to get some stuff done, so I'm minding his 3 dogs here - so no fishing for me today. Maybe Saturday then I leave at 7am Sunday for work later that morning. I really need to get a transfer up here!

Have a great day, Rick!

Edited by Berleyguts
Typos

ended up fishing lake mac and outside Swansea...hard going all weekend...a couple of salmon fri arvo  a dozen bream up to 41cm..two flathead 60cm and 72 cm..1 small reddie and two mullet..not a lot for a whole weeknd on the water..i did 71nm on gps..I won our local comp but it was a very tiring weeknd in the boat...oh well cant catch them on the lounge....rick

thanks scratchie the fishin was way hard over the wknd..it seems everything that swims had lockjaw on Saturday with that sw wind blowin  .hopefully il get a shot at broughton in the next two weeks..cant wait..then I have to decide between cod and big reddies..lifes a bitch...bahahaha