Sydney Sunday.

finin

Gday all, awesome day off Sydney today. Left the ramp early to a glass harbour and quite a few boats on the water.            Reached the heads and again went north to 100M. Swell under .5M from the SE. Current running downhill at .4kn. Water is 21.4 and light blue not very clean, seems to be cold water on the botttom.                 Fishing has been slow all morning, still got a feed though and a nice red that went 54.5 and caught on a prawn. Still out here heading into the 40s for some flatties. Thats all so far.

20161120_095843-1.jpg

Yeah thanks boys, after halftime things didnt far much better, another good sized mowie was landed at 47 and the smallest couta ive seen at 45cm, just shows there was cold water on the bottom.

Yowie, my best m8s father owned Bronte Fish shop in the late 80s, the top selling fish was always mowies as you said marketed as deep sea bream. Always sold out! The trick to em is to bleed as soon as caught, they hold an enormous amount of blood in them. As they are a blue fish they hold iodine in their bones. When you fillet them you Must cut out the red flesh at the shoulders and completely cut out all bone and bloodline. The result a great fillet of fish that doesnt have the taste i know you are talking about. Seriously m8 if you prepare the fish properly you wont throw them back.                                 

Good to see someone else looking after their fish in an ice slurry, all fish keep better that way, and I agree with you about mowies. I always bleed them then fillet, skin, and wash them in salty water and reckon they are good eating.

Nice catch.

On ‎20‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 4:30 PM, finin said:

Yeah thanks boys, after halftime things didnt far much better, another good sized mowie was landed at 47 and the smallest couta ive seen at 45cm, just shows there was cold water on the bottom.

Yowie, my best m8s father owned Bronte Fish shop in the late 80s, the top selling fish was always mowies as you said marketed as deep sea bream. Always sold out! The trick to em is to bleed as soon as caught, they hold an enormous amount of blood in them. As they are a blue fish they hold iodine in their bones. When you fillet them you Must cut out the red flesh at the shoulders and completely cut out all bone and bloodline. The result a great fillet of fish that doesnt have the taste i know you are talking about. Seriously m8 if you prepare the fish properly you wont throw them back.                                 

Tried different things with them, but, would rather eat a shit sandwich than a mowie.  :lol: