Need help: windscreen washer bulkhead fitting

zmk1962

Hi Raiders,

I am upgrading my rig to plate glass screens and panto-graphic wipers. The wipers also have washers and I need to run the washer lines through the cabin bulkhead.  I presumed this would be a simple task requiring some barbed bulkhead fittings to take the standard 3/16 wiper washer tubing... but the last 3 days of googling and visits to repco/autobarn etc have been fruitless in locating an Aussie supplier for wiper fittings (although heaps of US / UK / China retailers online). 

Anyone know where I can get two of these fittings in Castle Hill or NSW or Australia ??   Don't want to wait the 4-6weeks to ship international.

Here is a picture of the parts I am looking for and a google search:  https://www.google.com.au/search?q=windscreen+washer+bulkhead+panel+connector&client=firefox-b&tbm=isch&imgil=npDVCcQhclz85M%3A%3BAPDnq49pSwsiOM%3Bhttps%253A%252F%252Fwww.a shop.com%252FWindshield-Washer-Hose-Bulkhead-Fittings%252Fdp%252FB00A2THQN8&source=iu&pf=m&fir=npDVCcQhclz85M%3A%2CAPDnq49pSwsiOM%2C_&usg=___n9qHuwf4IBSbIHddLkNFd4VVv0%3D#imgrc=npDVCcQhclz85M%3A

They can be straight or elbowed...I'll take what I can get.

PS - Apologies if I have posted this in the wrong place -  if it is wrongly places I would appreciate one of the moderators moving it to the correct forum. 

Cheers

Zoran

BulkheadWasherFitting.jpg

10 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Hi Raiders,

I am upgrading my rig to plate glass screens and panto-graphic wipers. The wipers also have washers and I need to run the washer lines through the cabin bulkhead.  I presumed this would be a simple task requiring some barbed bulkhead fittings to take the standard 3/16 wiper washer tubing... but the last 3 days of googling and visits to repco/autobarn etc have been fruitless in locating an Aussie supplier for wiper fittings (although heaps of US / UK / China retailers online). 

Anyone know where I can get two of these fittings in Castle Hill or NSW or Australia ??   Don't want to wait the 4-6weeks to ship international.

Here is a picture of the parts I am looking for and a google search:  https://www.google.com.au/search?q=windscreen+washer+bulkhead+panel+connector&client=firefox-b&tbm=isch&imgil=npDVCcQhclz85M%3A%3BAPDnq49pSwsiOM%3Bhttps%253A%252F%252Fwww.a shop.com%252FWindshield-Washer-Hose-Bulkhead-Fittings%252Fdp%252FB00A2THQN8&source=iu&pf=m&fir=npDVCcQhclz85M%3A%2CAPDnq49pSwsiOM%2C_&usg=___n9qHuwf4IBSbIHddLkNFd4VVv0%3D#imgrc=npDVCcQhclz85M%3A

They can be straight or elbowed...I'll take what I can get.

PS - Apologies if I have posted this in the wrong place -  if it is wrongly places I would appreciate one of the moderators moving it to the correct forum. 

Cheers

Zoran

BulkheadWasherFitting.jpg

Hi Zoran,Can you simply drill the bulkhead then fit a grommet and run your washer hose through and plug into the washers?

You can use heaps of things to join two lengths of hose.

I've used irrigation pipe riser/fittings through to cutting down spray bottle tubes over the years to brass fittings like this one which you can buy at Autobahn and the hardware in the diameter your after.image.jpgimage.jpg

Personally I'd connect to the washer pump straight through the bulkhead with the grommet and plug into the washers if possible.

Cheers.

Thanks for all the replies guys... ran each of the leads down and eventually found - TruVision - a supplier of heavy duty windscreen systems (Brisbane) who put me onto the local Sydney distributor ACE Mobile Bus Services (at Blacktown) - they carried the exact parts I wanted in both plastic and brass.  As I caught him on the road - he diverted and home delivered !  How good is that !

Cheers Zoran

PS: They are called Barbed Bulkhead Fittings or Through Body Connectors.

16 hours ago, Fab1 said:

On a side note,How does saltwater,glass and wipers go in the way of scratching the glass if the water dries a little?

Hi Fab1,

I had that same concern re scratching when I mounted my first wiper on an Acrylic (plexiglass) screen. But I never used it when the screen was dry only when it was raining or there was significant salt water splashed across the screen. I replaced that screen after 10yrs with another plexiglass one (not due to scratches but because plexiglass starts to craze from UV exposure).  I did not use polycarbonate (lexan)  as its softer and more flexible than plexiglass and I am sure that would have scratched (even though it does not craze from UV). So overall my experience with salt/plex-glass/wipers has been quite positive.

I am now upgrading to plate glass (again much harder then plexiglass), and installing wipers/washers mounted directly onto panto-graphic arms... so when the screen is dry - a squirt of fresh water, before activating the wipers will make sure the rubber is sliding across wet glass, not dry salt. It's the system commercial vessels use.

On a related topic - having been caught out in some ugly weather I cannot imagine running a half cab without wipers. They significantly improve your visibility.

Cheers

Zoran

5 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Hi Fab1,

I had that same concern re scratching when I mounted my first wiper on an Acrylic (plexiglass) screen. But I never used it when the screen was dry only when it was raining or there was significant salt water splashed across the screen. I replaced that screen after 10yrs with another plexiglass one (not due to scratches but because plexiglass starts to craze from UV exposure).  I did not use polycarbonate (lexan)  as its softer and more flexible than plexiglass and I am sure that would have scratched (even though it does not craze from UV). So overall my experience with salt/plex-glass/wipers has been quite positive.

I am now upgrading to plate glass (again much harder then plexiglass), and installing wipers/washers mounted directly onto panto-graphic arms... so when the screen is dry - a squirt of fresh water, before activating the wipers will make sure the rubber is sliding across wet glass, not dry salt. It's the system commercial vessels use.

On a related topic - having been caught out in some ugly weather I cannot imagine running a half cab without wipers. They significantly improve your visibility.

Cheers

Zoran

Interesting,I would of thought it would scratch to some degree.Glad you found the bits you needed.