Drone Fishing

Sperwing

Couple of days ago when the wind was suitable I took my drone out for a test flight.

We can say now that we have the release mechanism and the weight under control.  

The Drone is a Phantom 3 with 2 backup batteries and signal extenders, it can hold approx 500 gram's of bait plus line depending on distance and height.

We caught two tailors as most of the day was just trial and error.  

Looking forward to this weekend for some more test runs and I hope we can get some good fish.

WhatsApp Video 2016-11-20 at 02.41.52.mp4

WhatsApp Image 2016-11-21 at 12.34.10 (1).jpeg

Edited by Sperwing

1 hour ago, kiwicraig said:

That's pretty cool - have you tried it out in daytime a well?  Wondering how good it would be for identifying gutters and channels from the air so you could drop your bait right where you think the high traffic spots will be.

Agreed

19 hours ago, BrassRoots said:

Be careful where you use it though. I know eastern suburbs of Sydney is all no-drone areas due to the heavy chopper traffic. The fines would be massive too because it's technically interfering with airspace safety and they take that stuff seriously.

I thought it was ok up to a certain height/distance?

I was talking to my brother about it and in some areas he reckons that there is a total ban in some places because some headlands are deemed emergency landing zones for helis in trouble... I don't have any definitive information I'm sorry.

Guess I'm just mentioning it because I don't want anyone to get in trouble. We always go on about the fishing regs here but there are rules and regs for everything so definitely worth looking into.

They are cracking down. Mainly due to near misses with RFS Aerial operations and a few incidents involving commercial aircraft.

The following is taken from  https://www.rpastraining.com.au/casr-101-uav-drone-legal-or-illegal

Very Small RPAs (under 2 kg) – Regulations effective 29th September 2016

The Federal Government has recently passed legislation which will allow a person to operate a very small RPA (that is, one weighing less than 2 kg) without certification, if it is being operated in standard RPA operating conditions. This will be known as an excluded aircraft.

Standard RPA operating conditions means that the RPA must be operated:

• within visual line of sight
  • below 400 ft AGL
  • during the day
  • more than 30 m away from anyone who is not directly associated with the operation (people being filmed are not considered to be directly associated with the RPA’s operation)

It may NOT be operated:

• over a populous area
  • within 3 nautical miles of the movement area of a controlled aerodrome
  • in a prohibited area
  • in a restricted area that is classified as RA3
  • in a restricted area that is classified as RA2 or RA1 otherwise than in accordance with regulation 101.065
  • over an area where a fire, police or other public safety or emergency operation is being conducted without the approval of a person in charge of the operation

I also looked at the CASA website and the info above does reflect that. Also the CASA site said no to night time operations

Edited by Swampgecko

3 hours ago, Swampgecko said:

They are cracking down. Mainly due to near misses with RFS Aerial operations and a few incidents involving commercial aircraft.

The following is taken from  https://www.rpastraining.com.au/casr-101-uav-drone-legal-or-illegal

Very Small RPAs (under 2 kg) – Regulations effective 29th September 2016

The Federal Government has recently passed legislation which will allow a person to operate a very small RPA (that is, one weighing less than 2 kg) without certification, if it is being operated in standard RPA operating conditions. This will be known as an excluded aircraft.

Standard RPA operating conditions means that the RPA must be operated:

• within visual line of sight
  • below 400 ft AGL
  • during the day
  • more than 30 m away from anyone who is not directly associated with the operation (people being filmed are not considered to be directly associated with the RPA’s operation)

It may NOT be operated:

• over a populous area
  • within 3 nautical miles of the movement area of a controlled aerodrome
  • in a prohibited area
  • in a restricted area that is classified as RA3
  • in a restricted area that is classified as RA2 or RA1 otherwise than in accordance with regulation 101.065
  • over an area where a fire, police or other public safety or emergency operation is being conducted without the approval of a person in charge of the operation

I also looked at the CASA website and the info above does reflect that. Also the CASA site said no to night time operations

Thank you on that advice mate will have to think twice now on using mine now .

56 minutes ago, blackfish angler said:

Thank you on that advice mate will have to think twice now on using mine now .

I am just guiding people to to do the right information, so they do not cop a huge fine. I think drone fishing sounds like fun as long as you take into consideration of where and how you operate. I actually want to know more on it. I know radio controlled boats have been used for years for the same purpose.

On 24/11/2016 at 9:02 PM, Sperwing said:

Couple of days ago when the wind was suitable I took my drone out for a test flight.

We can say now that we have the release mechanism and the weight under control.  

The Drone is a Phantom 3 with 2 backup batteries and signal extenders, it can hold approx 500 gram's of bait plus line depending on distance and height.

We caught two tailors as most of the day was just trial and error.  

Looking forward to this weekend for some more test runs and I hope we can get some good fish.

WhatsApp Video 2016-11-20 at 02.41.52.mp4

WhatsApp Image 2016-11-21 at 12.34.10 (1).jpeg

That's pretty cool man, summer tuna should be a blast, you'd get some great footage dropping a metal on a school and ripping it back to you on the beach!

4 hours ago, Adsy91 said:

That's pretty cool man, summer tuna should be a blast, you'd get some great footage dropping a metal on a school and ripping it back to you on the beach!

100% can do its easy and not hard the video feedback allows you to see what is happening

I fly at night as there's no issues with the area and nothing above 30 meters.  However, you can check out gullies much better and quicker with a drone and also overlap maps to find hole and drop offs.   It can make a 600meter cast easy.  I would be extremely careful not to fly it next to populated area or people enjoying the beach. 

I went out last night at caught some more fish this time using the logs to determine gutters and drop offs 

Drone fishing needs to be done as a team of minimum 4 people.

1. Drone guy/girl

2. bait person

3. fisherpeople

4. tea/drinks man :D

we got smashed on the weekend cast after cast after cast and needed a full-time person rigging and baiting  

Pic of a nice tailor on the first double hookup 

WhatsApp Image 2016-11-26 at 02.01.31.jpeg

Mate well done! I've seen those Youtube videos and wondered how many people actually are getting out there and giving it a go. A few very nice tailor.

Just wait until you get a bit more confident and start tossing it out 500m from shore and see what you might pull in!

Awesome stuff, keep us posted.

Looks like a lot of fun!

Surely this form of fishing would greatly increase your chances of landing a fish. 

Locate good gutters, holes etc drop the bait and wait 

You'd have better chances in the estuaries too. Around moored boats, structures etc (land based)

all fish will be released, I don't eat fish I guess I am more curious as to how to catch.

Will post an invite for those who are interested in coming out and learning, also who every wants to  give it a go soon`!

Edited by mrsswordfisherman

On ‎26‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 5:08 PM, Swampgecko said:

I am just guiding people to to do the right information, so they do not cop a huge fine. I think drone fishing sounds like fun as long as you take into consideration of where and how you operate. I actually want to know more on it. I know radio controlled boats have been used for years for the same purpose.

Thanks for help and posting this. I will also get some intel and post.

22 hours ago, Sperwing said:

all fish will be released, I don't eat fish I guess I am more curious as to how to catch.

Will post an invite for those who are interested in coming out and learning, also who every wants to  give it a go soon`!

Nice haha