Morning rocks session

Guest Guest123456789

Guest Guest123456789

Went out first light. After an hour tossing soft plastics caught a rat king which I returned. Pretty small, maybe 45cm to the fork.

Saw a few bream in close and I didn't bring any bait so I collected a red rock crab and put half on a hook. Unweighted and some good wash right next to my feet. A big powerful first run, didn't feel like a bream more like a black drummer. Up comes my first blue groper probably 2 kilos and 45cm or thereabouts. Gave it to the neighbour I'll ask them tomorrow how tasty it was.

Is there a season for blue groper or are they more common certain times of the year?

IMG_0823.JPG

Mate that is a ripper fish! A mate of mine caught one of these a few weeks ago and wasn't sure what it was.

I still don't understand how these things eat crabs? I've never tried using crabs for live bait but this guy also caught his on crab. Must have some tough chompers. How do you hook them?

Well done, the king would have been a good warm-up too.

Guest Guest123456789

Thanks Mike.

They have strong jaws the shell offers little resistance to a hungry fish.

Everyone has different ways - I like a bigger crab and then cut in half. Then a 3/0 hook through a leg cavity so the hook is positioned around the crab flesh.

I like to slowly wind the line while the fish nibbles the crab and encourage the fish to hook itself.