Cod opening

big Neil

IMG_6148resize.jpgIMG_6155resize.jpgIMG_6160resize.jpgSo the much anticipated Murray Cod season opened yesterday and Jeff and I had a day of surprises. First, and most significant surprise was when we hit the boat ramp where we were 2 days prior. What a surprise here. The water level had dropped by more than 1.5m in less than 2 days and was actually bordering on being low??? We had been very keen to explore the high water levels that are unusual at season's start. Ah well, such is life and off we went to start exploring and open our season's account with some nice Cod.

Second major surprise was the lack of fish wishing to take our offerings. 4 hours later and we dragged the boat and ourselves back to dry land with the scoreboard reading 2 small Cod and 1 huge Carp. We tried everything in the bait arsenal and persevered the scorching sun for what seemed an eternity, and it was hard going. Ever optimistic we put it down to the dropping water and the over fed fish not being hungry.

So why had the water level dropped so dramatically in a few days? I can only surmise that there may have been a "black water" event happening downstream and the big flush was needed to save the lives of thousands of big Cod. Certainly wasn't needed for agricultural purposes...

During our exploration we came across this item strewn up the bank. Sort of emphasises the power of the massive floods which took place over the past 5 months. This railing has two 4ft long concrete footings and was clearly no match for the surging flood, finally starting a new life downstream of its original location.IMG_6144resize.jpg

16 minutes ago, luderick -angler said:

Good stuff Neil at least you did not donut! I am off this afternoon for a trout and cod weekend on the Fish and Macquarie rivers . See if I can crack a few on the fly! 

Good luck. Went out this morning and scored 2 nice Cod...1 of which was legal, but put him back anyway. New strategy on the horizon. Watch this space. lol BN

Well done Neil, I am trying to get my boat ready for the season but things keep coming up that drag me away from the boat.

I usually spend the first few days of the Cod season at Burrinjuck but my buddy that comes with me this year is pretty butchers hook and is ground for a month to aid his recovery, once he is able I will be getting down there to try our luck.

Keep us posted with your activities.

Frank

I have been waiting on your cod season opening report Neil. Unfortunate that the drop in river level coincided with the opening. The Bidgee looks inviting, hopefully a good season coming up. Unfortunately there is often black water after a big flood. That is one big carp.

44 minutes ago, Cargo05 said:

I have been waiting on your cod season opening report Neil. Unfortunate that the drop in river level coincided with the opening. The Bidgee looks inviting, hopefully a good season coming up. Unfortunately there is often black water after a big flood. That is one big carp.

Won't get deterred just yet John. Early days and lots to look forward to. Strange thing about the Carp ALL being really big is that they may have got into the river from elsewhere, while it's been flooded. They are certainly bigger than what we normally have in the 'Bidgee. Cheers, BN

good luck on the cod neil..I hate this time of year xmas parties and fishing club pressos are stopping me from chasing my faves...a couple of small bass last weekend keeps the flame burning..goin for a fish before xmas come hell or high water hopefully I can put in a good report..rick

5 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

good luck on the cod neil..I hate this time of year xmas parties and fishing club pressos are stopping me from chasing my faves...a couple of small bass last weekend keeps the flame burning..goin for a fish before xmas come hell or high water hopefully I can put in a good report..rick

Make sure you do. There's more important things in life than Xmas parties and the like...FISHING! Cheers, BN