Slow day

GordoRetired

A bit late posting but as the saying goes, better late than never.....

Went for a run off Sydney on Wednesday as the wind forecast was not looking too bad. Slow start, getting on the water around 8.00am and headed out to a reef knows as Mugs, second time I have tried this one and starting to think that you must be a Mug to waste time there, Nothing. Headed off around a mile to the area known as Broken Ground, straight out off Curl Curl. fished for a while and only got 1 Sargent Baker... Time to move again.

Headed in a bit to Iggies and anchored up just off the reef. Finally got a bite and pulled in a real nice snapper, 40+, happy days. Into the boat, hook out, picked it up with a rag to pop it into the live bait tank, keeps them fresh, and the bugger kicked hard straight out of my hand and back in to live to fight another day... I reckon that they probaly heard me cussing a mile away on Curl Curl beach......

After I calmed down dropped in another bait and before too long had another 2 nice Snapper, mid 30's, in the boat along with 3 or 4 just under legal that went back. So happy in the end to have a nice feed of Snapper to take home for dinner.

I also caught the fish in the picture, from looking at the fish identification sites I think it may be a Foxfish, can anyone confirm? As I was not sure I threw it back in, but if it was a Foxfish from what I have read maybe I should have kept it as they are supposed to be good to eat, again, any views?

Finally the wind picked up around 2.00 so headed back in.

Fish.JPG

Bad luck on the "Slippery Snapper" there Gordo but a couple in the bag is OK.

The fish in the photo is a Eastern Pigfish. Bodianus unimaculatus. Or just Pigfish.

I have seen a couple of Foxfish taken in Sydney over the years but certainly not a common catch those ones.

Regards another,

Gordon.

26 minutes ago, Blackfish said:

Bad luck on the "Slippery Snapper" there Gordo but a couple in the bag is OK.

The fish in the photo is a Eastern Pigfish. Bodianus unimaculatus. Or just Pigfish.

I have seen a couple of Foxfish taken in Sydney over the years but certainly not a common catch those ones.

Regards another,

Gordon.

Thanks for the identification another Gordon. :-)  Sounds like they are OK to eat, if I get a good size one I might give them a try. Cheers

6 hours ago, GordoRetired said:

Thanks for the identification another Gordon. :-)  Sounds like they are OK to eat, if I get a good size one I might give them a try. Cheers

They do not grow to a great size, so whatever you catch is usually an edible size.

10 hours ago, papafish said:

gordon! that ping fish is a prize winner! beautiful fish to eat mate! 

Thanks Papafish, I'll be sure to keep the next one. :-)

11 hours ago, cogo44 said:

Chinese just adore pigfish. Steaming them is the way to go.

By the way, the flathead were on the bite south of the Heads on Thursday. We scored our best catch this year.

Thanks for the cooking tip Cogo. Where were you getting onto the Flathead?

14 hours ago, Yowie said:

They do not grow to a great size, so whatever you catch is usually an edible size.

Thanks Yowie.