Narrabeen Beach Morning Fish

8ron.davis

Headed out to the southern part of Narrabeen Beach at first light around 5am. Small swell and low tide. Not much structure to be seen watching the waves (though I'm not great at this) so just picked a spot and put out 2 rods each with a salted pilchard and a surf popper.

Burleyed with random bits and pieces of prawn and other leftovers. No action until around 7am with a 32cm trevally taken about half of my max casting distance out on the ganged pilchard. None of the usual aussie salmon to be seen. Gave up at about 9:30am.

Pretty quiet but at least I got to have sashimi for dinner.

20161205_161855.jpg

On 05/12/2016 at 6:46 PM, savit said:

Well done! Looks very tasty.

Do you catch often on surf poppers?

Every time I have caught a salmon off the beach it has been on a surf popper. Perhaps the scent of the pilchard gets their attention, but it falls off before it can catch anything... The trevally was caught on the ganged pilchard though.

1 minute ago, 8ron.davis said:

Every time I have caught a salmon off the beach it has been on a surf popper. Perhaps the scent of the pilchard gets their attention, but it falls off before it can catch anything... The trevally was caught on the ganged pilchard though.

Thanks nate. Do you fish day or night with surf poppers? Do they like specific colors?

Just now, savit said:

Thanks nate. Do you fish day or night with surf poppers? Do they like specific colors?

normally in the morning. Green has seemed to work fine. I use the $2.50 pre-made surf rig you can get from kmart or bigw. Just the components alone seem to cost about that, and I don't have to bother tying it. I sometimes replace the gangs if they get a bit tired looking. You going to head out to the beaches?