SeaStar Hydraulic Steering Ram re-fill oil.

sleepydragon

Hi Raiders,

How all of you got a wonderful weekend with a lot of fish. I have bought a secondhand hydraulic steering and about to install it myself. I am running to the issue where to open the bleed valves. They have 2 plastic cover which are impossible for to pull out unless I have to cut them open in order to connect the hoses. Secondly, If I have to cut them to open the cover, I won't have anything else to replace these plastic cover. Please advise me if anyone has this experience.

Cheers 

IMG_5204.JPG

megabbs-imagedisplay.jpg

Hmmm.... have not had that problem before with hydraulic steer - but have had similar ones with plastic fittings shrunk tight over metal fittings.....

I'd hit it with a bit of heat. Hairdryer or hot air gun... or carefully flick the flame from a cigarette lighter over the plastic.  Plastic should soften / expand and be able to be pulled off.    Same for putting it back on if its tight - little bit of heat.

Cheers

Zoran

Grab them with a pair of  pliers/vice grips and twist and pull hard and they should come off(Pad the jaws first).You can get underneath them with a pick/nail or small screwdriver and prise them off also.

Heat like Zoran said will help soften them if needed.

If you have to resort to cutting them off don't worry as they can be bought or just run a length of vacuum/fuel line from bleeder to bleeder.

Cheers.

Edited by Fab1

17 hours ago, Fab1 said:

Grab them with a pair of  pliers/vice grips and twist and pull hard and they should come off(Pad the jaws first).You can get underneath them with a pick/nail or small screwdriver and prise them off also.

Heat like Zoran said will help soften them if needed.

If you have to resort to cutting them off don't worry as they can be bought or just run a length of vacuum/fuel line from bleeder to bleeder.

Cheers.

Hi Fab1.

Where can I buy this plastic cover? I went to Seastar website I could not see it.

Cheers