Telltale water quite hot

shakey55

Good morning Raiders

I have a 115 Johnson two stroke

Yesterday to took it out in Botaby Bay crabbing (yes we did get quite a feed)

Throughout the day we got caught a couple of times in shallow weedy water.

This morning I cleaned up the boat and flushed her out.  At first the telltale was not very strong (unusual) and then suddenly it became very strong (usual) again.  Before shutting it off I thought I saw some steam and when I felt the water and found it was quite hot. 

Can someone explain, or is it that with not much water flushing through when telltale was weak is everything getting a little hot before telltale became strong again. 

I'll give it another go tomorrow and see what happens. 

The water just just seemed hotter than normal. 

It was as if if there was a bit of a blockage and then suddenly it cleared itself. 

Thanks

Hi Shakey,

Not an expert but I have a Johnson 115Hp as well (2000) model. I had a heating issue when I bought my boat 5yrs ago.

I took it to the mechanic and he told me that he changed the thermostat. Never had the same problem since.

So, it could be your thermostat that is causing the overheating. 

Cheers 

Dave

2 hours ago, Sigma said:

Hi Shakey,

Not an expert but I have a Johnson 115Hp as well (2000) model. I had a heating issue when I bought my boat 5yrs ago.

I took it to the mechanic and he told me that he changed the thermostat. Never had the same problem since.

So, it could be your thermostat that is causing the overheating. 

Cheers 

Dave

Thanks. Mine is also a 2000 model (Oceanrunner)

very happier with it, but this has not happened before. 

To to my knowledge the thermostats are only 12 months old. 

18 minutes ago, TheFoosh said:

Do small 2-strokes have a thermostat??

i.e. 15hp and under?

Yes they do, most forgotten part when doing a home service, out of sight out of mind.

easy to check, remove housing and put the thermostat into a pot of boiling water if the thermostat opens and the closes when put in cold water it's all good.

then clean the housing and replace gasket or use a sealant.

not using a thermostat cause a motor to run cold which means it could be running rich as choke doesn't click off and not getting the correct temp causing wear and tear.

Edited by jeffb5.8

Well just an update on my concerns. 

Took it to the Doctor (South West Marine - Ingleburn). 

Started it up in the tank (hadn't been started since Thursday when problem occurred. 

Telltale immediately flowed strong and no signs of interruption. 

Kept it running for 15 minutes, checked all temperatures and everything perfect. Impeller is like new. 

Cost no charge. 

I'm once again happy and will in future make sure sounder with depth alarm is turned on so no more weedy areas to run aground events very low speed. 

Thanks everyone. 

ADMIN

Might be worth contacting the mentioned company and see if interested in becoming a sponsor. 

The owners name is Nick and a genuine good bloke and from what I know very knowledgeable. 

14 hours ago, shakey55 said:

Well just an update on my concerns. 

Took it to the Doctor (South West Marine - Ingleburn). 

Started it up in the tank (hadn't been started since Thursday when problem occurred. 

Telltale immediately flowed strong and no signs of interruption. 

Kept it running for 15 minutes, checked all temperatures and everything perfect. Impeller is like new. 

Cost no charge. 

I'm once again happy and will in future make sure sounder with depth alarm is turned on so no more weedy areas to run aground events very low speed. 

Thanks everyone. 

ADMIN

Might be worth contacting the mentioned company and see if interested in becoming a sponsor. 

The owners name is Nick and a genuine good bloke and from what I know very knowledgeable. 

Thanks Shakey - that is why I have left this post unedited. It is actually against site rules to post up non-sponsor businesses. I will be contacting Nick ;)

43 minutes ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Thanks Shakey - that is why I have left this post unedited. It is actually against site rules to post up non-sponsor businesses. I will be contacting Nick ;)

The phone number is 02 9605 6559